Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changed e-mail address for digital legacy contact

I have been designated as a digital legacy contact for a friend, but under the rubric "Contact for digital legacy for" my friend is listed with an e-mail address he never uses and which is not the e-mail address for his Apple ID: it seems to have been created automatically and contains the beginning of his Hotmail address (which he uses all the time and which is also the e-mail address for his Apple ID) followed by @icloud.com. Might this be a problem, should I need to use the access key one day? Is there any way to change this e-mail address?

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 3:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 11:04 AM

Same issue, here is my detailed problem:

Under Settings -> <My Name> -> Name, Phone Numbers, Email -> Reachable At there are several email addresses and phone numbers. The first one is the email address of my Apple ID, the other email addresses are additional ones where I also can be reached at with iMessage or FaceTime.

When I create a Legacy Contact, that person gets an entry for me but NOT using my Apple ID email address but, in my case, the last additional email address listed under Reachable At. My legacy contact is not aware of this email address meaning it's not in her address book under my contact.

I think this is a bug since the Apple ID email address should be used!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2021 11:04 AM in response to nonicoclolasos

Same issue, here is my detailed problem:

Under Settings -> <My Name> -> Name, Phone Numbers, Email -> Reachable At there are several email addresses and phone numbers. The first one is the email address of my Apple ID, the other email addresses are additional ones where I also can be reached at with iMessage or FaceTime.

When I create a Legacy Contact, that person gets an entry for me but NOT using my Apple ID email address but, in my case, the last additional email address listed under Reachable At. My legacy contact is not aware of this email address meaning it's not in her address book under my contact.

I think this is a bug since the Apple ID email address should be used!

Dec 15, 2021 2:45 PM in response to jdo_apple

What do you mean by "goes off the Apple ID account"? My friend's Apple ID e-mail address is NOT the same one registered on my iPhone: his Apple ID e-mail is X@hotmail.com, but the given e-mail address is X@icould.com. Does this constitute a problem or not, if I want to access his Apple products in the case of his death? (This @icloud.com thing was created automatically.)

Dec 18, 2021 9:37 AM in response to nonicoclolasos

I have the same problem: My AppleID is NOT xyz@icloud.com - it’s xyz@somemaildomain.com. I also own xyz@icloud.com but it’s only a secondary Alias nobody knows.

I invited my legacy contact with my AppleID and this secondary xyz@icloud.com was revealed. As my legacy contact saved me under xyz@somemaildomain.com in contacts, it wasn´t even properly connected to the saved contact.

This is a serious bug that reveals email-adresses to legacy contacts that they are possibly not meant to know. The wrong assumption is that an AppleID has to be @icloud.com so that must be the right email-adress. But that‘s not the case.

Changed e-mail address for digital legacy contact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.