Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I received a text message telling me to enter a new Apple ID

Today I received a text message telling me to enter a new Apple ID contained in the text message. I also received an email telling me to enter a new Apple ID contained in the email. The IDs were different from each other. I did send a screenshot of the text message and forwarded the email to Apple. Naturally I did not respond to either one. But I have not heard back from Apple. Can you tell me if someone is attempting to hack in?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 5:52 PM

Phishing and attempted fraud and all sorts of scams are routine on the ‘net.

Some reading from Apple ➡️ Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

There are millions or more of these messages sent out each day—this stuff is fully-automated and computerized businesses, with A/B testing of effectiveness and with timely hooks routinely used to trigger (strong) emotions in the readers, among many other advertising and engagement techniques that the scammers employ.

No, Apple is not going to respond to reports.

Best we can do for now with all the spam—pending any potential future legislative or regulatory action—is to set all unrecognized contacts to mute, or work with the carrier, or let our representatives know this scam and spam stuff is an issue.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2021 5:52 PM in response to Pdecheine

Phishing and attempted fraud and all sorts of scams are routine on the ‘net.

Some reading from Apple ➡️ Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

There are millions or more of these messages sent out each day—this stuff is fully-automated and computerized businesses, with A/B testing of effectiveness and with timely hooks routinely used to trigger (strong) emotions in the readers, among many other advertising and engagement techniques that the scammers employ.

No, Apple is not going to respond to reports.

Best we can do for now with all the spam—pending any potential future legislative or regulatory action—is to set all unrecognized contacts to mute, or work with the carrier, or let our representatives know this scam and spam stuff is an issue.

I received a text message telling me to enter a new Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.