Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

failed update - message says "You need to be an owner"... I am the only user... I own my house, I own this Mac, my car... anything else?

any one else has this error message...???

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 7:01 PM

found the answer somewhere, 5 months ago among developers having the same problem with the beta version... here:

By starting the update using the command line, I was able to bypass the secure token/owner check from the Software Update pref pane:

sudo softwareupdate -i -a -R

-i Install

-a All appropriate updates

-R Automatically restart (or shut down) if required to complete installation)

seems to work fine!

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2021 7:01 PM in response to Mac_Cat

found the answer somewhere, 5 months ago among developers having the same problem with the beta version... here:

By starting the update using the command line, I was able to bypass the secure token/owner check from the Software Update pref pane:

-i Install

seems to work fine!

Dec 19, 2021 7:02 PM in response to alain10538

here is an answer from a developper who faced that issue last summer with the beta version.. seems to work fine!

-i Install

Dec 15, 2021 7:57 AM in response to alain10538

" BitDefender and Memory Clean 3 " Useless and cause more harm than good as one is experiencing with them installed on this computer.

Testament to BitDefender - read some of the 574 posting on these ASC Forums Remove it as per Developers Instruction .

Apple macOS of any stripe and version is very well equipped to Manage the Memory Requirements on the computer. Introducing a Third Party Application to perform the same actions - well is totally unneeded and actually compromises the OS and Security

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

AntiVirus Software should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS including the download and installation of Monterey

Feb 27, 2022 2:35 PM in response to spydie2

I have this issue today with the most recent update MacOS 12.2.1. With Error:

I read somewhere (https://docs.jamf.com/technical-articles/PreStage_Enrollment_Users_Are_Not_Volume_Owners_on_Computers_with_macOS_11-512_when_the_Recovery_Lock_Password_is_Set_During_Enrollment_PI-010304.html) that:

1. Volume ownership is required for users to authorize changes to local policy on computers with Apple silicon, and to allow software updates and kernel extension management.

Dec 15, 2021 12:48 PM in response to alain10538

Download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Dec 15, 2021 2:09 AM in response to alain10538

Is there more than One User Account on this computer.

System Preferences >> Users & Groups.

Are you logged into the Admin Account of this computer.

That or the computer has Profiles installed. If Enrolled in a Mobile Digital Management Program to work at the Office via Home as may companies are doing during the COVID issue.

Then to Solution is to communicate with the Company IT Department as they actually Control the computer.

Jan 11, 2022 10:46 AM in response to alain10538

I have been fighting this problem all morning on my Mac mini M1. Others reported going into Activity Monitor and force quitting a couple different files starting with com.apple.Mobil.... and com.apple.ND.... The weren't even present on my computer. So I "quit" (not deleted) Memory Monitor and then it found the update just fine.

Jan 11, 2022 10:59 AM in response to spydie2

there is an answer, from developers having the same problem last summer :

from Console, in Utilities, type this command then press return:

% sudo software update -I -a -R

enter your machine logon password when required and press return again and you should see

Finding available software

downloading macOS...

etc...

worked like a charm for my Mac mini M1 - the MacBook Air M1 had no problem at all...

Feb 27, 2022 2:58 PM in response to spydie2

I believe after all this time and trouble I'd reinstall the OS. Doing so from the Recovery Panel does not harm personal data. It also leaves certain settings alone which could be problematic. If that were to fail, I'd make a series of backups, maybe with CCC and Time Machine, and wipe the drive and reinstall the OS from scratch. Probably from a bootable flash drive of which I already have several.

There comes a time when all else fails you have to just recreate the out-of-box condition.

BUT, and this is a big but, if you're not comfortable with either of these you need to find a buddy who is. Who TRULY IS competent at doing these things. If you follow the instructions they work perfectly, still .....

It's problems like these why this forum stresses the harmful effects of 3rd party apps that claim to be fixers, monitors, improvers, optimizers,AV and the like.

failed update - message says "You need to be an owner"... I am the only user... I own my house, I own this Mac, my car... anything else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.