Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OneDrive problems on Monterey

I have 300+Gb on OneDrive on my MacBook. I recently upgraded to Monterey (MBP 2018, 16Gb SSD, 2Tb storage).

As we know, OneDrive's location and default behaviour was changed for Monterey. The new location is /Users/<username>/Library/CloudStorage/ and the default behaviour is to leave all files in the cloud and download when needed. No question was asked and all local OneDrive files were deleted, bypassing Trash.

Supposedly you can change this by selecting 'Always Keep on This Device' in Finder. But it doesn't work properly. Selecting this (when you can – not all folders show the option on right-clicking), makes OneDrive start downloading files. Problems:

#1 OneDrive seems to download some and then decide it's had enough. OneDrive says it is up to date, but many files are in fact still not back on the hard drive. I've restarted the process many times over the last week.

Critically:

#2 Deleting a file triggers the "This item will be deleted immediately" popup and Trash is bypassed. Emptying and deleting the .Trash folder using sudo and rebooting (which makes macOS automatically recreate a clean .Trash folder) does not cure this.

#3 You can delete files by clicking 'Delete' in the above popup (Trash is bypassed), but after a minute or so, they are restored to the hard drive.

#4 Amazingly, if you delete a lot of files, OneDrive gives its longstanding warning about keeping mass deleted files for 30 days: 'Recently deleted: <xyz.pdf> and 17 more files'. Except that they were just restored to the hard drive as above.

WHAT THE HECK !!!!!!

Please let there be maintenance releases from Apple (and if necessary Microsoft).

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 3:59 AM

I realise the thread is a couple of months old but I decided this week to upgrade both my 2017 intel iMac and 2019 MacBook Pro from Catalina to Monterey. How I wish I'd read this stuff first, since I used OneDrive for Business (and Office365) all the time.

desktop iMac.

This wouldn't actually migrate to Monterey in one go. I had to upgrade to Big Sur first, then Monterey. After a few nervous moments, OneDrive seemed to work fine. Since this is a ethernet-plugged desktop on a UK University/JANET connection, I don't care about files on demand. Fine.

2019 macbook pro.

This managed to migrate to Monterey in one go. But big problems with OneDrive. As the original post stated, the existing physical files (of which I need many folders for offline use, since I'm a regular traveller(*) and often use unstable connections in cafes, airports, dodgy conference venues) - these were all removed from the device without asking, as the default seems to be for files in the cloud.

I tried lots of stuff: removing the app, resintalling several times to no avail. Each time I tried to re-sign in, it would tell me the folder was already there and ask if I wanted to use the existing - which of course I did. Then (as others have stated) OneDrive would sort of "give up". I could see the master list of directories within OneDrive but clicking on one would merely give "processing" in finder window. And nothing would happen - while at the same time the OneDrive cloud button in the topdock would give that irritating "your files are synced" lie. Clicking to keep a folder on the device would not help either.

What worked for me:

Quit and uninstall OneDrive.

Go in to Word and sign out. (This might be crucial but I have no way of knowing - however I hadn't done this on any of the previous failed attempts.)

Restart

I then deleted the shortcuts to OneDrive - there appeared to be no physical files there anyway. (And on my other desktop machine I can see the files are still there both in Finder and in a web browser.)

Restart

Search for known file or folder names in OneDrive using finder and spotlight - can't see them - good.

Reinstall OneDrive, sign in. This time around it no longer finds the existing path, so I just set it to its suggestion of /users/me/OneDrive. It begins to sync the directory structure.

Load some Office file and re-sign in there too.

I seem to be through it!

Really poor user experience.

*pandemic excluded.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2022 3:59 AM in response to poRzoq-7zibbu-qymsas

I realise the thread is a couple of months old but I decided this week to upgrade both my 2017 intel iMac and 2019 MacBook Pro from Catalina to Monterey. How I wish I'd read this stuff first, since I used OneDrive for Business (and Office365) all the time.

desktop iMac.

This wouldn't actually migrate to Monterey in one go. I had to upgrade to Big Sur first, then Monterey. After a few nervous moments, OneDrive seemed to work fine. Since this is a ethernet-plugged desktop on a UK University/JANET connection, I don't care about files on demand. Fine.

2019 macbook pro.

This managed to migrate to Monterey in one go. But big problems with OneDrive. As the original post stated, the existing physical files (of which I need many folders for offline use, since I'm a regular traveller(*) and often use unstable connections in cafes, airports, dodgy conference venues) - these were all removed from the device without asking, as the default seems to be for files in the cloud.

I tried lots of stuff: removing the app, resintalling several times to no avail. Each time I tried to re-sign in, it would tell me the folder was already there and ask if I wanted to use the existing - which of course I did. Then (as others have stated) OneDrive would sort of "give up". I could see the master list of directories within OneDrive but clicking on one would merely give "processing" in finder window. And nothing would happen - while at the same time the OneDrive cloud button in the topdock would give that irritating "your files are synced" lie. Clicking to keep a folder on the device would not help either.

What worked for me:

Quit and uninstall OneDrive.

Go in to Word and sign out. (This might be crucial but I have no way of knowing - however I hadn't done this on any of the previous failed attempts.)

Restart

I then deleted the shortcuts to OneDrive - there appeared to be no physical files there anyway. (And on my other desktop machine I can see the files are still there both in Finder and in a web browser.)

Restart

Search for known file or folder names in OneDrive using finder and spotlight - can't see them - good.

Reinstall OneDrive, sign in. This time around it no longer finds the existing path, so I just set it to its suggestion of /users/me/OneDrive. It begins to sync the directory structure.

Load some Office file and re-sign in there too.

I seem to be through it!

Really poor user experience.

*pandemic excluded.

Jan 23, 2022 10:46 AM in response to poRzoq-7zibbu-qymsas

Just discovered this had been happening for some time. Or maybe not. Since MS gave us no warning, I can't say.

I upgraded my ancient iMac to a M1 Mini about a year ago, and like many others, I'm sure, I kept my local OneDrive folder on a large external data drive so that I always had quick access, even when I had no Internet connection (Spectrum is, um, not production quality). Even if I tell OneDrive to store files locally, it stores them on my (smaller) system drive, which I can't move to another computer. At all.

I moved from Dropbox to OneDrive several years ago, because I was already paying for a family MS365 subscription, and I've put up with the weirdness to maintain Windows compatibility and how it hogs resources on iOS since, because it was saving me money. Now, without any warning, it no longer even functions the way I want and need it to. This is MS arrogance and workflow breaking paternalism on a level exceeding even Steve Jobs' wildest dreams. Not that I'm upset.

Our enterprise cloud storage solution at work is Box (I'm one of the admins), and they've been pushing Box Drive hard over Box Sync for years. Sure hope they don't pull asshattery like this. I don't understand why a company would force you to use more of their storage and prevent you from using your own in the name of convenience unless it's marketing BS to make users more dependent. Probably answered my own question.

At this point, I'm contemplating moving all 360GB of data to iCloud or Dropbox, which both work better with iOS and OS X. iCloud has its own issues with forcing locations (move a documents folder? Ha!), but I've already bumped my storage to 200GB for peanuts. I need to confirm whether I can sync folders on external drives, since the inability to do that is a deal breaker, and my need for Windows compatibility is minor. If anyone is reading this, I'd be interested in perspectives on the long-term prospects for Dropbox, which is no longer the dominant player it once was.

Dec 15, 2021 12:05 AM in response to poRzoq-7zibbu-qymsas

I am experiencing the same thing on my MacBook Pro and macOS Monterey along with OneDrive. The issue is 100% with OneDrive and Microsoft. The other thing is that I am not sure whether this is an identified issue or whether this is a feature for OneDrive from Microsoft. I like to keep all my files locally on the SSD on my MacBook Pro. I used to disable Files on Demand on OneDrive. What I do now is ensure that the OneDrive folders are manually downloaded locally. I only have less than 5GB of files on OneDrive so checking every now and then to ensure that files are available locally, is rather easy. I have gone on to provide feedback to Microsoft as well.

Axel F.

Dec 15, 2021 12:11 AM in response to Axel Foley

And the "This item will be deleted immediately" popup? Do you get that?

I still need OnDrive because of its version-saving capabilities, demonstrated only yesterday when Word collapsed on me. It looked like the loss of a day's work when I looked at my document on the hard drive, but OneDrive had saved many versions to the cloud during the day and I lost nothing.

But I need to have the Trash working properly.

Feb 14, 2022 9:12 AM in response to poRzoq-7zibbu-qymsas

I have this issue too and incredibly frustrating! OneDrive worked perfectly fine prior to the new Monterey-specific version and now struggle saving to Onedrive, Syncing with OneDrive, and given the other comments on this thread, it seems i might now be risking losing files without my knowledge!

Microsoft or Apple need to get their heads together and fix this. Or better yet, reverse it...

Feb 20, 2022 10:47 AM in response to Tryonkus

I just discovered this issue when moving to a new MacBook Pro 14. I have a mixed Windows/Mac environment where my desktop is windows but my travel computer is a Mac (just because of the integration with my iPhone and iPad along with the fantastic battery life). Obviously, when you're on the road (i.e., flying in a plane in my case) access to online files is spotty at best if the plane even has a working wifi router, so keeping files locally is key for me. This is a very unwelcome development from Microsoft but since I'm stuck with OneDrive, it might mean moving back to a Windows laptop if I suddenly can only randomly access key files while on the road. I hope that Apple and/or Microsoft get this worked out unless they've just suddenly determined that airplanes are no longer a "thing" and that we're all connected all the time 🙄.

Mar 8, 2022 9:56 AM in response to Rubslopes

Yikes everyone! I'm dealing with the same issues! I'm trying to run a business here and this is causing major issues. I concur with everything above for most of the same reasons. What can we do - I've spent 48 hours solid on this and don't have a clear view of what to do. Love my Mac/Apple/Iphone/OS but after upgrading to Monterey last week nothing is syncing. I have ALL OF MY BUSINESS files on OneDrive and because I use all the MS products on my Mac - same reason as everyone else running a business. But this isn't working! I'm about to lose my mind over all the lost productivity I've had with these 2 systems not talking to each other. They are going to force us to choose sides - why can't we all just get along? If anyone has a fastback to knock some sense into Apple and Microsoft - please, give me a phone number. (I've already quite AT&T over similar nonsense). These big guys are ruining our lives.

Mar 13, 2022 3:35 AM in response to JLDuhon

Hi to all shocked users of the recent Mac OneDrive update.

I was horrified also to see all of my OneDrive files and folders removed after a recent update installation which turned on the "Files-on-Demand" and disallows it from being disabled. This was done without my permission and without the impending change being made clear to me. The installation merely asked for my permission to access the local OneDrive folder! Luckily, I never used this folder as my primary work space but had always used the very fine FreeFileSync app (https://freefilesync.org/) to copy files and folders over to my local OneDrive folder.

Now, I have a work-around that leaves files and folders physically in the same place in your Mac's OneDrive folder but can still synchronise with your OneDrive in the cloud.

First of all, I deleted the OneDrive app and any hidden related files.

Then I deleted the entire contents of the OneDrive folder with it's links to

Library > CloudStorage > OneDrive-Personal

.ODContainer-OneDrive

UBF8T346G9.OneDriveStandaloneSuite directory

Next and to be absolutely sure my primary work space didn't get messed up, I used FreeFileSync to copy all files and folders over to my empty OneDrive folder. You can configure files to be excluded such as .DS_Store and .sync.ffs_db

Now, you have two choices where the first one would take longer, requires more work for the cloud OneDrive and, if you forget or didn't note what you'd updated, is prone to error:

1. Using a web browser and your Microsoft login details,

delete any folders or files you think you've changed and then drag replacement

files and folders from your local drive to OneDrive in your web browser;

2. Use Terminal to enter rclone commands (https://rclone.org/docs/ and https://rclone.org/onedrive/)

to copy or synchronise files and folders from your local OneDrive folder to your cloud-based OneDrive.

You can instal rclone directly or by using Homebrew.

I found the following two sources to be very helpful:

https://roadtopetabyte.medium.com/tutorial-how-to-install-rclone-and-configure-rclone-browser-on-your-mac-rclone-gui-for-macos-a97e13925ab0 and

https://research.reading.ac.uk/act/knowledgebase/rclone-sync/

For configuring rclone, note two things:

1. As of February 22 2022, Microsoft OneDrive is no longer 23 in the list of

available cloud storage devices but 27;

2. On my first attempt, I saw that rclone defaulted to OneDrive Business and

didn't give the option of choosing OneDrive Personal. So, I keyed ^C to quit the

configuation, deleted the remote I'd created and then created a new one.

For this second attempt, under Edit advanced config, I chose yes.

Then, just keyed Enter for all defaults except under Option drive_type, where I entered Personal.

Once you've successfully obtained a token for your cloud storage device, you'll be able to use the commands,

rclone copy or rclone sync. You'll need to obtain another token, if you don't use rclone for three months.

Be careful with rclone sync as this will delete files on the destination if they don't exist on the souce.

A simple example rclone command would be:

rclone sync <source files or folders> <your destination OneDrive name>:/<destination files or folders>

eg. rclone sync /Users/<User name>/OneDrive/Desktop <your OneDrive name>:/Desktop

However, for completeness, it's probably better to refer to a text file you'll make, listing all file types you don't want to copy or sync.

Then, your command would look something like:

rclone sync /Users/<User name>/OneDrive/Desktop <your OneDrive name>:/Desktop --exclude-from ~/.config/rclone/exclude.conf

where exclude.conf is the name of your exclusion text file, with the following example contents:

.DS_Store/**

.sync.ffs_db/**

.thumbnails/**

.vagrant/**

.gitignore

.git/**

.Trash/**

.Trashes/**

.apdisk

.com.apple.timemachine.*

.fseventsd/**

.DocumentRevisions-V100/**

.TemporaryItems/**

.Spotlight-V100/**

.localization/**

TheVolumeSettingsFolder/**

$RECYCLE.BIN/**

System Volume Information/**

Wishing you success and more satisfaction with your Mac and OneDrive syncronization...

OneDrive problems on Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.