Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install an update for watchOS 8.3

My watch was charged above 50% and connected to the charger. My iPhone 13Pro Max was charged over 50% too. But, when I install the watchOS 8.3, it still complains, it still cannot proceed.

I rebooted both iWatch and iPhone. Still cannot install watchOS 8.3. Still got the following message:

Installation Paused

To install the update, Apple Watch must be connected to its charger and charged at least 50%

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 9:45 AM

I had the exact same issue. Thanks for describing your fix, it helped me

eventually. I had to restart both devices, make sure they were connected. Put the Apple Watch to charge, and only then open the Watch app in the iPhone and do the update. Otherwise if I opened the app before having the watch in the charger, it would throw that error pop up which would never go even if I had put the watch in the charger afterwards.

Apple should really look into how they are working with software lately. I’ve seen some other people complain about the same: it feels like things that worked before and were a given are now a struggle (updating Apple Watch, Siri’s responsiveness/efficiency, reading news formatting, iCloud showing wrong storage usage, airdrop constant issues, poor functionality to customize HomeKit, secure home video big limitations, and a long etc.). If this trend continues I’ll honestly consider switching to a different brand, despite being a full Apple house right now. It’s simple getting to a point is not being worth the trouble.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2021 9:45 AM in response to GWKK

I had the exact same issue. Thanks for describing your fix, it helped me

eventually. I had to restart both devices, make sure they were connected. Put the Apple Watch to charge, and only then open the Watch app in the iPhone and do the update. Otherwise if I opened the app before having the watch in the charger, it would throw that error pop up which would never go even if I had put the watch in the charger afterwards.

Apple should really look into how they are working with software lately. I’ve seen some other people complain about the same: it feels like things that worked before and were a given are now a struggle (updating Apple Watch, Siri’s responsiveness/efficiency, reading news formatting, iCloud showing wrong storage usage, airdrop constant issues, poor functionality to customize HomeKit, secure home video big limitations, and a long etc.). If this trend continues I’ll honestly consider switching to a different brand, despite being a full Apple house right now. It’s simple getting to a point is not being worth the trouble.

Jan 3, 2022 3:25 PM in response to GWKK

I wasted the equivalent of an entire day reading these discussions and others, trying to solve this problem. I did everything - all the keychain stuff; I rebooted my Mac, iPhone, watch, updated all software. I tried every nuanced option within these and many more protocols. Nothing worked. Why? No clue.

Finally punted and simply unpaired my watch. Once I paired up again (you know, when your watch gets that blue, fuzzy outer space thing that looks exactly like the Robot's face on the new Lost in Space series) and it immediately asked me if I wanted to update now or wait till later.

Update now! Boom. Solved.

Note: I've been an Apple fan/advocate/ambassador since I learned on a MacPlus in the late 80's. I've been through every era, every upgrade, every OS, almost every desktop, laptop, wireless keyboards, routers, monitors... every device including the iPad Pro HUGE fan.

But is it me or has something has gone terribly wrong inside Apple? "Help! Steve!" :)

Regardless, after 33 years, I'm still here and will never abandon the brand. I've earned a lifetime worth of income using Apple's tools. I just want them to get their **** together. :)

🖤

Cannot install an update for watchOS 8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.