Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WatchOS 8.4.2 won't install

I have been trying to update my apple watch 5 for a few days now and cannot get it to work. Maybe someone has a solution.

IS: Watch is fully charged on the charger, watch has 23GB of available space and is connected to WiFi.

Current watchos is 8.4 (19S546)

Phone is an Iphone 12 Pro running on iOS 15.3.1 with 156GB available space, also connected to Wifi.

Never have I had issues with an update but not matter what, I get the message that installation was paused and that it has to be on the charger and be charged at least 50%. Well it is fully charged and on the charger.

I restarted both watch and phone, refreshed the network it is connected to but nothing works.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Apple Watch Series 5

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 10:08 PM

Thanks Ingo, I have. Charging the iPhone at the same time is new to me, I never had to do that before and it does not show on any how-to's from apple. So I did not try it.

But I found the solution:

As a last ditch effort, I unpaired the watch and re-paired it. It was a bit of a pain since I had to redo all the apple pay along with authorizations on the Macbook for unlocking the screen with the watch but it is now working.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2022 10:08 PM in response to Ingo2711

Thanks Ingo, I have. Charging the iPhone at the same time is new to me, I never had to do that before and it does not show on any how-to's from apple. So I did not try it.

But I found the solution:

As a last ditch effort, I unpaired the watch and re-paired it. It was a bit of a pain since I had to redo all the apple pay along with authorizations on the Macbook for unlocking the screen with the watch but it is now working.

Feb 21, 2022 8:50 PM in response to JTJTLT

I was facing the same issue that Watch OS 8.4.2 was not installing and was showing the same error that connect the watch to charger and make sure it's 50% charged.

After multiple effort it didn't worked. I have restarted the watch and the installation of OS patch was smooth.

It seems there is a bug in the OS installer which was not tested properly before release.

SO, restart your watch before doing anything else to save time and effort.

Mar 1, 2022 8:06 AM in response to kathleenfromboalsburg

Try to update from the watch itself.

Place the watch on the charger.

Make sure that your watch is connected to wifi.

On your watch, open the Settings app.

Tap General > Software Update.

Tap Install if a software update is available, then follow the onscreen instructions.

WatchOS 8.4.2 won't install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.