Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crop to Fill and Ken Burns not moving

Ever since I updated to the newest version of iMovie, I cannot move any corners of crop to fill or ken burns in the video crop tab. I can go into it and begin the crop but once selected I can’t move the pictures around. Yellow lines show up to square the picture up but I cannot move the image crop at all. I uninstalled iMovie and installed again but no fixes. Please help! There’s no info online of anyone else running into this problem.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 11:58 AM

Usually deleting preferences will solve issues like this, but apparently not in your case.

Try creating a new project and see if the cropping function works properly there.

If that doesn't work, try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder help for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Sometimes that clears out conflicts that cause unexpected in apps.

If still no luck, try redownloading iMovie. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar.   You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2021 11:58 AM in response to garret1992

Usually deleting preferences will solve issues like this, but apparently not in your case.

Try creating a new project and see if the cropping function works properly there.

If that doesn't work, try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder help for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Sometimes that clears out conflicts that cause unexpected in apps.

If still no luck, try redownloading iMovie. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar.   You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Dec 15, 2021 8:11 AM in response to garret1992

Try deleting preferences and see if that solves it. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  See if the cropping function now works properly. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Crop to Fill and Ken Burns not moving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.