Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't switch off 'silence unknown callers'

HI all, I have had 'Silence All Callers' option turned on, on my iphone XR running iOS 15.1. I switched this function off to receive some calls I was expecting from numbers not in my contact list. However my phone is still sending calls from unknown numbers directly to voice mail. It seems to be ignoring the fact I have switched off the function. I have restarted my phone to see if that clears it, but I still have the same issue. I can't seem to disable the 'Silence All Callers' function. Any suggestions or similar experience?

iPhone XR

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 10:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 11:26 PM

Thanks Kareng12. I didn't realise that the settings in the 'Do Not Disturb' options also impacted the 'Silence Unknown Caller'. I have reviewed those settings and worked out what I needed to change there to ensure I can receive calls now. Many thanks for your helpful and super quick response. :-)

2 replies

Dec 15, 2021 6:14 PM in response to paintboxred

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities paintboxred,

We understand calls from numbers not in your contacts, are going directly to voicemail, despite 'Silence Unknown Caller' being disabled. Do we have that right? Have you recently gotten calls from people you know, that you received an alert for?

We recommend you check that Do Not Disturb is not enabled, or review it's related settings. You can change who calls are allowed from while Do Not Disturb is enabled, from Settings > Do Not Disturb > Allow Calls From.

You can find additional information, here: Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Additionally, check the ring/silent switch to ensure its toggled off.

We hope this helps!

Can't switch off 'silence unknown callers'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.