Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot turn off silence unknown callers

I have had this problem problem for more than 6 months. When I toggle off silence unknown callers my iphone 8 plus continues to send all unknown and some contacts straight to voice mail. I have even made new contacts when I know someone is going to call (like for a job interview) and even they get sent straight to voicemail.

I have never turned on DND and even a reboot of the phone changes nothing. This is frustrating when doctors or job interviewers call me and the phone sends them straight to voicemail. Does anyone have any suggestions besides making sure Do Not Disturb is off, it is, or restarting my phone? I’ve done that too.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 7:43 AM

If you are holding the iPhone and the call goes straight to voicemail and the silence unknown callers switch is off, I would check with your carrier to find out a reason for your calls going straight to voicemail. The control call handling and voicemail. When the iPhone is locked and you are wearing your Watch, the notifications should be going to the Watch, not the iPhone. Check to make sure the Watch is not on silent.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2022 7:43 AM in response to ColdandGrey

If you are holding the iPhone and the call goes straight to voicemail and the silence unknown callers switch is off, I would check with your carrier to find out a reason for your calls going straight to voicemail. The control call handling and voicemail. When the iPhone is locked and you are wearing your Watch, the notifications should be going to the Watch, not the iPhone. Check to make sure the Watch is not on silent.

May 18, 2022 7:32 PM in response to ColdandGrey

I solved my issue! So I have AT&T and had signed up for their “CALL PROTECT” a long time ago. It never worked so I deleted the app from my phone but when you delete the app it saves all the settings. I had it set to send all calls not in my address book to voicemail. However it didn’t add new contacts to the unblock list since I deleted the app.

I reinstalled the app and changed my settings and now calls are ringing through. Thanks everyone for trying to help. Hopefully I can help someone else. If you have ATT check your call protect app.

Apr 29, 2022 6:50 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I have not used focus ever. I do have an apple watch and it doesn’t ring through it either. It’s not that it’s not making sounds, I get all the sounds from other calls, texts, app notifications, I don’t even get a notification of a call incoming. The calls just go straight to voicemail. I did get a notification of the message the caller left on my watch yesterday but not of the call. This is typical.

I have been holding the phone waiting for a job interview from folks who are in my contact list with unknown calls silenced turned off and it has still pushed them to voicemail.

I think it might have to do with the iphone 8. It seems other folks who have the same problem are also using 8’s.

Cannot turn off silence unknown callers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.