Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Appletv displaying 1080p only

Why does my band new Appletv 4k HDR only display 1080p? I have have a brand new 4k HDMI cable connected directly to a 2021 Sony 4K tv. I changed the inputs hdmi settings to "ENHANCED" so the tv will be able to hdr and a that Yada. The APPLETV does not a 4K option in resolution settings. Appletv's Highest resolution is only 1080p.

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 10:13 PM

Verify your Apple TV model. Settings﹥General﹥About﹥Model﹥. Is it A1427, A1469, A1625, A1842, or A2169?

Verify your other video settings on Apple TV:

Set HDMI Output to YCbCr (not RGB). Set Chroma to 4:2:0 [needs HDMI 2.0 or later] (instead of 4:4:4 or 4:2:2).

Furthermore, I would advise to set Match content for both Frame Rate and Dynamic Range, when a TV handles that well. I would recommend to set video Format to use SDR as default, and only use HDR for HDR content through the Match Content setting.

Settings﹥Audio/Video﹥Video﹥Resolution﹥1080 (no option to select 4K)

I think mine (tvOS 15) has the navigation path as: Settings﹥Video and Audio﹥[ᴠɪᴅᴇᴏ] Format﹥. I.e. no separate Resolution heading. Instead resolution, dynamic range, and refresh rate are lumped together as group options. Adjust video settings - Apple TV user guide - Apple Support

Apple TV video Format settings reflect what it can detect, so that invalid options can’t be made. If you see 1080p as maximum when 4K should be available, then something is limiting the resolution output. Either the cable spec (18 Gbps or better), the cable length, the TV HDMI port, or any equipment in between (HDMI splitters, HDMI switches, HDMI audio extractors, converters).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2021 10:13 PM in response to JLindnerJ

Verify your Apple TV model. Settings﹥General﹥About﹥Model﹥. Is it A1427, A1469, A1625, A1842, or A2169?

Verify your other video settings on Apple TV:

Set HDMI Output to YCbCr (not RGB). Set Chroma to 4:2:0 [needs HDMI 2.0 or later] (instead of 4:4:4 or 4:2:2).

Furthermore, I would advise to set Match content for both Frame Rate and Dynamic Range, when a TV handles that well. I would recommend to set video Format to use SDR as default, and only use HDR for HDR content through the Match Content setting.

Settings﹥Audio/Video﹥Video﹥Resolution﹥1080 (no option to select 4K)

I think mine (tvOS 15) has the navigation path as: Settings﹥Video and Audio﹥[ᴠɪᴅᴇᴏ] Format﹥. I.e. no separate Resolution heading. Instead resolution, dynamic range, and refresh rate are lumped together as group options. Adjust video settings - Apple TV user guide - Apple Support

Apple TV video Format settings reflect what it can detect, so that invalid options can’t be made. If you see 1080p as maximum when 4K should be available, then something is limiting the resolution output. Either the cable spec (18 Gbps or better), the cable length, the TV HDMI port, or any equipment in between (HDMI splitters, HDMI switches, HDMI audio extractors, converters).

Dec 15, 2021 9:18 PM in response to rkaufmann87

That is obvious.

In the AppleTv

SETTINGS

-AUDIO/VIDEO

-VIDEO

-RESOLUTION

-1080 (no option to select 4K)

Not 10 minutes before setting this appletv up, I set up another appletv directly to a 2021 sony tv and in the same video settings under resolution I could select 4k. Why with the same setup would one appletv give the option for 4k and another appletv tv will not even let you select 4k, let alone have 4k as even an option. Riddle me that Batman.......?

I would sincerely love to know the solution. I will in a few days switch the Appletvs and see what happens but until then I would hope to have a legitimate answer please. Thank you

Appletv displaying 1080p only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.