Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t get 2022 AppleTV 4K into HDR format.

I just bought the new Apple TV 4K and it is hooked up to my Yahama Rx-V6A AVR and then to my Sony 4K TV. When setting up the Apple unit I tried to set it to the 4K HDR setting. When the Apple TV tries testing that setting it returns it to the SRD setting. I checked the receiver’s video setting and it is in the mode 1 setting. I then tried hooking up the AppleTV directly to the TV and then it would allow the HDR setting. My HDMI cables are new 2.1. Has anyone else had this problem? Any fix?

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 9:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 8:21 AM

Verify that the HDMI settings on Apple TV 4K are set to YCbCr and 4:2:0 (or 4:2:2). [4:4:4 would limit other video properties through HDMI 2.0, like e.g. HDR.] All streaming video is encoded with 4:2:0 chroma, so this doesn’t limit video quality at all.

Similar questions

1 reply

Can’t get 2022 AppleTV 4K into HDR format.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.