Unable to use HDR on AppleTV 4k through receiver

I have an AppleTV 4k that is connected to a Yamaha RX-V679BL receiver and an LG OLED 4k TV.

I cannot get the AppleTV to work on HDR through the receiver, it does work on SDR.

The AppleTV HDR works if connected direct to the TV.

My 4k UHD BluRay DVD Player displays HDR if run through the receiver to the TV.

I have tried different HDMI cables, updating firmware, different AppleTV apps, and of course rebooting.

This is not an issue with specific HDMI ports on the TV or Yamaha. I have used the same ports and cable as the DVD player to indicate the cable and ports work for HDR.

I do not see any settings on my LD OLED TV or Yamaha that would prevent the AppleTV HDR to work when run through the receiver but allowing HDR on direct connect to the TV.

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 5:51 AM

Verify that the Apple TV box is set to use chroma 4:2:0 or 4:2:2, as 4:4:4 at 4K+HDR+60Hz video exceeds the bandwidth limit for HDMI 2.0a ports. This won’t diminish the video quality at all, as all streaming video is encoded as 4:2:0 in the source files.

Verify that your HDMI cables are rated for 18 Gbps or better (48 Gbps recommended when both plugs connect to a HDMI 2.1 port).

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2023 5:51 AM in response to rswurth

Verify that the Apple TV box is set to use chroma 4:2:0 or 4:2:2, as 4:4:4 at 4K+HDR+60Hz video exceeds the bandwidth limit for HDMI 2.0a ports. This won’t diminish the video quality at all, as all streaming video is encoded as 4:2:0 in the source files.

Verify that your HDMI cables are rated for 18 Gbps or better (48 Gbps recommended when both plugs connect to a HDMI 2.1 port).

Sep 4, 2023 10:08 AM in response to rswurth

Verify that Apple TV has the latest version system software (tvOS 16.6 per 2023-07-24).

Verify that the Yamaha has the latest firmware (v2.86 per 2021-10-04).

Verify that the TV system software is up-to-date (LG Support).

Do try a new cold restart of all three devices, if you haven’t done so since.

Try changing the receiver setting MON.CHK (monitor check) to ‘SKIP’.

Sep 4, 2023 6:06 AM in response to rswurth

Update (still not fixed):

• AppleTV is set to Chroma 4:2:0
  • I have new high speed HDMI cables (48 Gbps)
  • Yamaha is set to 4k Mode 1

The HDR signal comes through but there is a significant flicker and glitching on the lower portion of the screen. I have tried to adjust frequency, OLED display settings, and AppleTV settings with no luck.

Unable to use HDR on AppleTV 4k through receiver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.