Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

paired devices won't connect anymore

I've done every possible way to try to connect my paired devices (iPhone 6 and macOS Monterey) but they just don't connect anymore. On the Mac Bluetooth, I removed iPhone on Devices, connected it again, and paired the devices. After pairing, on the Mac, it will quickly shift from 'iPhone connected' to 'Not Connected'. On my iPhone, a message says 'Connection Unsuccessful. Make sure iMac is turned on and in range'.

iPhone 6

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 1:06 PM

What are you trying to accomplish by connecting the two devices together? Even though you can get this on your iPhone:

doesn't mean that you can connect the two that way. It means that they each detect BT and try to connect.

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 16, 2021 7:22 AM in response to jabeme

Just what are you trying to accomplish by pairing your iPhone to your computer?

There are services that use a bluetooth connection between ta Mac and iPhone. However, when you use the service/app, the pairing is done through the app, not by pairing the iPhone to the Mac like one would pair bluetooth headphones to the Mac.

Dec 16, 2021 4:08 PM in response to lllaass

Hi IIIaass, thanks for replying. Nothing urgent really. I am just expecting that paired devices will connect to each other. For me, this signals a technical issue if the status of a paired device won't change to 'Connected' after tapping on it. I am also pretty sure that I did not encounter this problem before. Hence, my suspicion of having messed up one or both devices from too much "playing around".

Dec 17, 2021 1:53 AM in response to Old Toad

Oh, my bad! I see the confusion. I actually mean that the two were paired/connected wirelessly through WiFi by activating their Bluetooth. I thought this method is called connecting using Bluetooth?

Anyway, this is how I was/am doing it:

On iPhone: 'Settings' > 'Bluetooth' activated, iMac appears on the My Devices list as 'Not Connected'. To connect the two, I tap iMac, but I get a message "Connection Unsuccessful. Make sure iMac is turned on and in range".

On iMac: I tap the 'Bluetooth icon' on the top right corner of the iMac (I leave it always ON) > 'Bluetooth Preferences', my iPhone is on the Devices list also with status Not Connected. So when I tap on it, nothing happens. The spinning wait cursor just keeps spinning.

Trying to solve the problem, I did a few times the 'Forget This Device' respectively removing the device from the list and pairing the two again technique. The pairing was always successful but the problem is still there. I can't get that status change from Not Connected to Connected. Again, I don't really have a particular reason at the moment why I want them to connect. I'm just curious why. My daughter instinctively remarked that my iPhone is nearing its extinction.

Dec 18, 2021 2:26 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad, many thanks. I'm relieved.

"doesn't mean that you can connect the two that way. It means that they each detect BT and try to connect." I thought it's the same as with my other devices on the list- once these are switched on, they show as Connected on my iPhone.

Still, something in the back of my mind is telling me that I have reason to worry. I am 50% sure (😁) I saw this before (on iPhone, 'iMac Connected'; on iMac, 'iPhone Connected'). Your reply appeases me anyhow. Thanks.

paired devices won't connect anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.