Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open FCPX project

I am editing a video in FCP last week. Then everything worked fine, only my disk was almost full so I stopped the rendering of the project during editing. But now when I want to open the project, FCP crashes and I get the error; "FCP crashed unexpected". I can open other projects and libraries.

I have tried some methods on the internet, I restarted my MacBook, deleted the preferences and tried to create a snapshot of the project (what also made a crash).

FCP also tried to fix the library automatically, but unfortunately this didn't help, the logs say: "The following items could not be repaired:'[MY_PROJECT_NAME]'".

I am currently using FCP version 10.6.1 (Build version 401159) on macOS Monterey 2.0.1 (21A559) and I have an Intel MBP.

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 10:31 AM

See if you can open a backup from before the crash. By default they are stored in ~/Movies/Final Cut Backups/

https://support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/restore-a-library-ver85d95b8a9/10.6/mac/11.5.1

Similar questions

13 replies

Dec 16, 2021 1:19 PM in response to gijsw

Your disk is full. You need at minimum 10% free, ideally 15%.

Low disk space - This computer is running critically low on free hard drive space.

You haver Chrome installed. These keystone daemons are known to be a problem for the ProApps. To completely remove Chrome and all the hidden files it installs, follow the instructions at https://chromeisbad.com Simply trashing the app is not enough.

[Loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2021-08-23)

Dec 17, 2021 4:38 AM in response to gijsw

I am guessing that you are still with very low disk space. This can lead to crashes and loss of data.

How much free space do you currently have?

You should have at least 15% free on a system drive at all times.

Using FCP you will use a lot of space for video files, so you should seriously consider getting an external drive for your media.

Regarding dragging vs importing: if you drag, whatever is set in your preferences determines if the files are copied or not. So if you are low on disk space and your preferences are to "Copy to Library" that may explain why it fails.

We need you to tell us how much space you actually have.

Can't open FCPX project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.