Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make a copy of a picture in my contact list?

I took a picture several years ago and used it as the picture for one of my contacts. It is a GREAT picture. Unfortunatley the only copy I now have of that picture is on that contact list. I want to copy it back into my photographs. How can I do that? All of the answers I see to this question are several years old and they don't work anymore.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 7:12 PM

Best I can come up with is to export the contact as a vCard.

Open the vCard with a Text Editor (BBEdit, TextEdit).

There will be a section named: "PHOTO;ENCODING=b;TYPE=JPEG:PHOTO;ENCODING=b;TYPE=JPEG:"

Select everything after that up to just before the == line.

Copy that and paste it into the Input Base64 field in this website (or find another that will convert Base64).

You can then download the image file.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2021 7:12 PM in response to davefromtemple

Best I can come up with is to export the contact as a vCard.

Open the vCard with a Text Editor (BBEdit, TextEdit).

There will be a section named: "PHOTO;ENCODING=b;TYPE=JPEG:PHOTO;ENCODING=b;TYPE=JPEG:"

Copy that and paste it into the Input Base64 field in this website (or find another that will convert Base64).

Dec 19, 2021 10:00 PM in response to Barney-15E

Your instructions say:

I have two questions.

1. What happens after I paste it into the Input Base64 field in this website ?
  2. Then you say, “You can then download the image file.” Please explain how I can I then download the image file? And, download it from where?

Dec 18, 2021 10:53 AM in response to davefromtemple

I did find an easier way after reading your suggestion. Instead of exporting it as a v-card just export it as a PDF file. Then open the PDF file and the picture is right there. Just take a screenshot of the picture and then you have it. The downside is it's not quite the quality of the original but maybe 80% is good. And it takes less than 60 seconds to do that.

How can I make a copy of a picture in my contact list?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.