Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod & HomePod Mini location services not working

My 2 HomePods and 1 HomePod Mini all suddenly stopped using my location data.

For example, if I ask what the weather is today, it responds with “The weather where?”

if I ask how long it will take to get to a particular destination, it asks me to switch on location services, even though the location option *is* switched on

I have reset my wifi router, updated the HomePod software (only 1 needed updating to the latest version, the other two had already done it automatically), and done a full unplug and reset.

It works for about 20 minutes, then forgets again and asks me to switch on location services. When I check the setting, it is already in. Toggling it on and off doesn’t help.

Any ideas? I see that other people have experienced this, which is why I followed the steps they took, but many of them could not resolve the problem either and there seems to be no further suggestions offered to them.

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 3:50 PM

Thats very interesting. I actually experienced something similar. I came back to the forum to say that I managed to get it working, and was surprised to discover that your response had some similarities to mine.

My home app also didn’t have the option in the home app home page. It was only available by long pressing each HomePod in the app and scrolling down.

What I did:

Went into Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Location and Privacy

At first, it didn’t cause the Home app to ask for my permission to use location services, but all other apps asked. Odd. So I switched off the location toggles in the home app, then went to Settings > General > Privacy and could see that the Home app was already listed there with FULL permission already switched on, even though it should have reset to “ask” (very odd that it didn’t reset like all other apps). I then switched it to “Ask next time”. I swiped to close the Home app and when I opened it again, it popped up with a message asking for my permission.

It’s all working again now.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2021 3:50 PM in response to Arkouda

Thats very interesting. I actually experienced something similar. I came back to the forum to say that I managed to get it working, and was surprised to discover that your response had some similarities to mine.

My home app also didn’t have the option in the home app home page. It was only available by long pressing each HomePod in the app and scrolling down.

What I did:

Went into Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Location and Privacy

At first, it didn’t cause the Home app to ask for my permission to use location services, but all other apps asked. Odd. So I switched off the location toggles in the home app, then went to Settings > General > Privacy and could see that the Home app was already listed there with FULL permission already switched on, even though it should have reset to “ask” (very odd that it didn’t reset like all other apps). I then switched it to “Ask next time”. I swiped to close the Home app and when I opened it again, it popped up with a message asking for my permission.

It’s all working again now.

Dec 20, 2021 3:37 PM in response to Zorkarkmedzs

That makes sense, as my location settings were in the old location, not the new “home” location. I can also see why Arkouda had to reinstall the app. I just got there a slightly different way, but the problem is clearly related.

Looking back at my timeline, this is what happened:

1. Updated my iPad to 15.2, but the battery went flat soon after
  2. Two of my three HomePods auto updated but the Mini did not
  3. Manually told my Mini to update
  4. iPhone was still at 5.1, so the location service toggles were still in the old area of the app (under each individual HomePod)
  5. I updated my iPhone to 15.2
  6. There was still no location option in the home menu of the Home app
  7. Needed to go into Settings of the iPhone and tell location services to get Home app to ask for my permission “next time”
  8. Location option then appeared in the Home app and I was prompted and things worked again

Thanks for the help and detective work everyone.

Dec 17, 2021 6:48 AM in response to OzAzza

I have exactly the same problem and I've also tried the recommended toggle of location services on each HomePod. Like you, I have tried power cycling the HomePods (I have minis and originals) and also rebooting my wifi router. I've also made sure that my Apple TVs and other iOS devices are all up-to-date.

I do hope this is not another problem that won't go away. I'm heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, but I'm tired of being told that the problem* is known and requires a server side fix, but that there's no ETA.

----------

*for anyone interested, my other problem is that personal requests constantly turn off for one member of my Home - but only on HomePod minis. I've been corresponding with Apple's Exec Relations and troubleshooting and logging and ... since the mini was released (over a year ago) but I'm getting nowhere fast.

Dec 17, 2021 9:02 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi tt2,

Unfortunately, those steps don’t resolve the problem.

I can listen to music, add items to lists, etc, but anything to do with my location does not work. Toggling location services in the app and in the general settings doesn’t help either.

The software on all my devices is up to date, they’ve all been restarted, the 3 HomePods have all been reset multiple times, and so has my wifi. I’ve even tried an alternative wifi network and it still doesn’t resolve the problem.

Dec 17, 2021 9:09 AM in response to Arkouda

I feel your pain. My HomePods randomly stop working at times and need to be reset.

One of them now has an odd additional problem where tapping the screen now causes it to say “play”, “volume up” and “volume down”. I assume it’s an assistive technology option in the settings, but I’ve never turned anything like that on and I can’t even find the option in the settings to turn it off at all. My other 2 don’t do this.

Dec 17, 2021 11:29 AM in response to OzAzza

I have just had a breakthrough with weather/location: It was odd that the Home app on my iPad didn't have anything about Location Services in Home Settings - despite Siri on the HomePod telling me that that was where to look - so I deleted the Home app, restarted the iPad, reinstalled the Home app and now the setting is just where Siri said it would be - and it was not on.

After turning Location Services on, all my HomePods (as hubs) became unavailable in the Home app, but were still responsive to voice commands. I quit the Home app and on relaunching they were all back online. After all that, weather is now working as expected.

My conclusion: somehow the 15.2 iOS update either didn't update my Home app or there was something in its settings that didn't get overwritten (I could still see the Location settings in each HomePod). Deleting the app with all its data must have pulled down everything afresh from iCloud.

Dec 20, 2021 8:53 AM in response to OzAzza

Found the actual solution on another discussion thread here. You may not want to bother with the other more convoluted things suggested here. The problem happens because your HomePods have updated before your iPhone, and the HomePods are looking for a location services setting on you iPhone that isn't there yet.

Update your iPhone or iPad to 15.2. When you open the Home app after that, it will immediately ask if you want to enable location services for HomePods. Yes. Yes, you do. You will also find the location services toggle on the "Home Settings" page in the Home app, which you should check and make sure it is indeed switched on.

HomePod & HomePod Mini location services not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.