Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External dac on USB C port : erratic loud hissing/noise

I have a big problem with the USB C ports on the new MacBook Pro 14" running Monterey 12.1. When I connect my external DAC (a Chord Qutest) I get sudden erratic loud hissing / noise (static overload?) instead of music. This can be after a couple of minutes or even a few seconds. I tried several USB cables but that doesn't work. Only a double USB C hub seems to solve the problem. Playing a movie via HDMI is OK. It's the USB C port that gives the problems.

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 1:00 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 18, 2021 4:02 PM in response to HansVR

Hello HansVR! You've taken some great steps to isolate the issue. If your Mac is up to date with the latest macOS available (Update macOS on Mac), and restarting your Mac has no effect on this issue, what happens if you start up in safe mode and try? Do you still get static? How to use safe mode on your Mac

If so, connect with Apple Support to look into this issue further: Get Support

Cheers!

Dec 18, 2021 2:59 PM in response to HansVR

Hello HansVR! Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

We understand that when you connect an external digital-to-analog converter to your Mac via USB-C, you hear static through the speakers instead of the expected audio. We'd like to look into this with you to see how we can help. 

Does this issue occur when any other accessory or device connected with your Mac? If you connect your DAC to another compatible Mac, do you experience the same issue? 

It’s possible that you may need to connect with the manufacturer of the DAC to look into this further, if it’s only with the DAC that you’re experiencing this issue. 

Make it a great day!

Dec 18, 2021 3:30 PM in response to jdo_apple

Oh no, the DAC is fine.

MacBook Air (11" mid 2012 with High Sierra) + DAC on USB A = perfect

MacBook Pro (13" 2020 with Monterey 12.1) + DAC on USB C = perfect

MacBook Pro (13" 2015 with Catalina) + DAC on USB A = perfect

New MacBook Pro (14" with Monterey 12.1) + DAC directly on USB C = above described glitching

same MacBook Pro + DAC on USB C or USB A of a double USB hub = perfect !!

Oh yes, another problem : I connected an external thunderbolt LaCie SSD drive via an Apple thunderbolt adapter and during a copy operation the connection wit the drive was lost several times. The drive was gone from the screen. I had to disconnect it and connect it again. After 4 trials the files were copied completely.

PS : I have been talking to customer support of the DAC and they told me this :

The M1 Air we have for testing is glitching with a DAC attached... and when playing through its own speakers. My M1 iPad Pro is not affected at all. The issue seems to be Monterey. 

Ed S. / Customer Support

Chord Electronics Ltd. 

The Pumphouse, Farleigh Bridge 

United Kingdom

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Dec 19, 2021 11:44 AM in response to Eric--F

Tried in Safe Mode : same static noise problem, almost immediately, after 2 seconds.

The strange thing is, when I use a 10€ Anker USB C to USB A adaptor, I have no problems. Same as with the Pepper-Jobs USB-C hub we have from the older MacBook Pro.

BUT

When I use a genuine Apple USB-C to USB A adaptor, I get static noise.

When I use an Audioquest USB-C to USB A adaptor, I get static noise.

I now ordered a new USB-C hub which is "M1 ready" : https://www.pepper-jobs.eu/nl/tch-mbp7-plus-114631548.html

I wonder what this one will do.

I already spend quite some money on cables and adaptors....

External dac on USB C port : erratic loud hissing/noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.