Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text message

I recieved a text saying “You can now reset your Apple ID password at apple.com/recover

Be sure to do this before 12/24.”

is someone trying to sign in my iCloud or is this a scam

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 8:08 PM

Text message Said:

"How do you know it’s a scam? If it isn’t and they fail to cancel Account Recovery that could cause a ton of unnecessary damage.[...]"

-------

Its the Content of the Message:

It wouldn't now. But, being such import information, someone either tried to log in with your password, or they are prompting you to enter your password on it. So, if you did not request this, then it would most certainly be a scam, or someone has your credentials.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2021 8:08 PM in response to faaland1220

Text message Said:

"How do you know it’s a scam? If it isn’t and they fail to cancel Account Recovery that could cause a ton of unnecessary damage.[...]"

-------

Its the Content of the Message:

It wouldn't now. But, being such import information, someone either tried to log in with your password, or they are prompting you to enter your password on it. So, if you did not request this, then it would most certainly be a scam, or someone has your credentials.

Dec 17, 2021 7:56 PM in response to Lindax0

Lindax0 Said:

"Text message: I recieved a text saying 'You can now reset your Apple ID password at apple.com/recover: Be sure to do this before 12/24.' is someone trying to sign in my iCloud or is this a scam"

-------

Report this to Apple:

See here: Using the Photos App to Report Scams: - User Tip

Modify your Credentials:

Being suspicious of fraud, consider modifying your credentials, ASAP, starting with a new password.

Dec 17, 2021 8:09 PM in response to TheLittles

How do you know it’s a scam? If it isn’t and they fail to cancel Account Recovery that could cause a ton of unnecessary damage.

Best to assume it isn’t a scam and follow proper Apple procedures.

Apple.com/recover is a legitimate Apple site and receiving a text like what was described is literally the final step in Account Recovery.

“When the wait period is over, Apple sends you a text or automated phone call with instructions to regain access to your account. Follow the instructions to immediately regain access to your Apple ID.” - HT204921

Text message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.