Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“smart” keyboard for iPad doesn’t rotate through languages

Hi, I need to type in German as well as English. There’s a button on my Smart Keyboard that does rotate through the languages and let me choose the right one. Then any on-screen keyboard is correct, and the spelling corrections / auto fill is correct. But when I try to type from my keyboard it just keeps giving me English! Obviously this doesn’t happen with laptop keyboards. Is there a way around this, or is Apple just trying to take advantage of the fact the Smart Keyboards come off & force us to buy multiple? That wouldn’t be very sustainable…

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 12:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 4:32 AM

2factorIsSoBroke wrote:

when I try to type from my keyboard it just keeps giving me English!

By this do you mean that the key mapping is not what you want? Or the spell check is not correct?

If it is the key mapping, you have to set that separately for each language via settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard > tap over at the right edge. Make sure you have the mapping you want checked and not "automatic".

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2021 4:32 AM in response to 2factorIsSoBroke

2factorIsSoBroke wrote:

when I try to type from my keyboard it just keeps giving me English!

By this do you mean that the key mapping is not what you want? Or the spell check is not correct?

If it is the key mapping, you have to set that separately for each language via settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard > tap over at the right edge. Make sure you have the mapping you want checked and not "automatic".

“smart” keyboard for iPad doesn’t rotate through languages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.