Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every app starts slow

Hi

my Imac has this strange and annoying feature. Every app takes about ten

times longer to startup, the first time I open it (after boot).

For example, firefox takes 10-20 secs, Matlab takes 2 or 3 minutes, etc.

If I quit the app and I reopen it, it takes the normal time.

If I re-open the app after a long while, it takes forever again.

Another significant thing is that every operation that I perform inside that app takes much longer the first time.

For example, if I calculate the solution of an equation in Matlab, it

takes a long while the first time, but it's enormously faster the second

time.

It looks like there is something on the file system that slows down the apps, isn't it?

So far I tried to:

Check disk with disk utility (everything is ok)

Delete all caches

Give the related apps full disk permission.

PRAM reset

Issue is user-wide (every user has the same issue)

I have SSD, not HD.

No antivirus, no relevant s/w except Dropbox (quitting dropbox does not help)

Thank you for any suggestion

A

iMac Pro

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 2:43 AM

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2021 2:43 AM in response to sandrokadsa

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Dec 19, 2021 1:35 AM in response to sandrokadsa

disk0 - APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E632 1.00 TB (Mechanical - 5400 RPM)

APPLE SSD SM0032L 28.00 GB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

Answer - This computer is configured with a Fusion drive which was good in its day for storage. Though, for performance - not so good. In fact, the Mechanic side of the Fusion Drive has the slowest possible Rotational Drive at 5400 RPM. That is exactly where the long delays in application loading is happening. No matter how clean the Software used on this computer - it will always be slow.

Possible solution - purchase a reliable and reputable External SSD Drive. Load the Operating System to the External Drive and use the external drive as the Startup Drive. This can be done by System Preferences >> Startup Disk and change it to the External Drive after having installed the OS to that drive. There performance boot will be very very noticeable almost like Night and Day.

No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

Answer - Make Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Limited drive access - More information may be available with Full Drive Access.

Answer - Self explanatory

Automatic updates disabled - Automatic updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Security updates disabled - Security updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Answer - One may have personal reasons for this but it does leave the computer vulnerable

Dec 20, 2021 11:44 PM in response to PRP_53

Hi

thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense!

I didn't realise I had that kind of drive (I got that machine from a colleague).

The problem is that is so slow that it is beyond functionality... I always use Matlab for work, and I've been using it on any Apple or Unix machines of various performance since 1998, and I can't remember any case when start up took 2 or 3 minutes.

More recently, the first command I type in the command window causes a Matlab to freeze with a spinning wheel and I have to re-launch it. In other terms, it's getting worse...

So these crashes are indicative of some sort of issue, aren't they?

Are you sure it can't be an issue with permissions? Dropbox, for example, takes up to 10 minutes to start synchronising after boot, just like it is trying to access something.

Also, I don't understand why I have a firewall ("murus", it's in the report I attached): can I just delete the related files so it won't start again?

Thank you very much!

A

Dec 21, 2021 1:53 AM in response to sandrokadsa

According to what I have read " Murus " firewall is only supported up to El Capitan OS X10.11

As per their instructions How to uninstall Murus 

Reverting your OS X system to factory default is a very easy task. Select “Murus” menu and click “Uninstall Murus”. Restart your Mac. Your Mac is now cleaned and all files installed by Murus has been deleted. PF configuration has been restored to factory default and PF has been disabled.

Dec 21, 2021 9:56 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi

thank you again, unfortunately it's not working.

Since I don't have any app called Murus v1 (probably it was installed by the previous owner)

I downloaded it again from the developer. It's now Murus V2

Upon first start of the app, it told me that it found the script form a previous version (v1) and it's safe to remove them

(which I consented)

Then I installed the V2 and uninstalled as indicated (there is no uninstaller)

After reboot, the scripts are still there.

So is it safe to just remove all the plist and script related to Murus, or does it leave the firewall in a non optimal state?

Thank you very much!

A

Dec 24, 2021 8:56 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi

I disabled the firewall entirely but it didn't help.

I understand the fusion drive being slow, but consider that lately not only starting Matlab is slow, but very often the first script I launch I got a spinning wheel and I have to re-launch Matlab. So I think there must be more than a performance issue...

Am I right?

Should I re-ask the question, since I see this is marked "solved" but I am still in trouble?

Thanks for any hint...

A

Every app starts slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.