Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SLOW Application startup on new iMac

I have a new (2019) 21.5 inch iMac running 10.14.6 Mojave. Every application is "bouncing" 40-50 times it opens, unless I open it a second time before going to 2 or 3 other apps, at which time it will open immediately. But 10 minutes later, 40-50 bounces.

It seems that there is either something stopping them from opening or a cache that isn't right. This has happened since I bought the machine (my old 2013 model opened the same software, including Final Cut Pro, Microsoft Office, and Finale MUCH faster). I have cleaned out caches, reset PR Ram many times, etc. Please help!

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 3:30 PM

Follow the steps listed in: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

The Safe Mode startup, and subsequent normal startup will take longer than normal.

How are you cleaning "caches?"

10 replies

Apr 17, 2020 6:12 AM in response to DrCry555

Boot into Recovery (Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

If no resolve—

To get a good look at your System config. for conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com  

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

You can set its preference to "Allow full Disk Access",  with this you get a digest of issues from the last 7 days that are saved in your system.  _No_ personal information is revealed.

Apr 24, 2020 5:15 AM in response to DrCry555

DrCry555 wrote:

Any thoughts on this? Does this mean that my hard drive is damaged? I really need some help because this is driving me crazy (and is taking up a lot of time just waiting for things to open!).

No— exit code 0 means no issues.

The volume /dev/rdisk2s1 appears to be OK

File system check exit code is 0

Restoring the original state found as mounted

What you are seeing is a bug in DiskUtility and local snapshots < FSroot tree references >

Uninstall all Anti-Virus, Cleaners, Optimizers, Speeder Uppers etc.

If you continue to have an issue—To get a good look at your System config. for conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com  

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

You can set its preference to "Allow full Disk Access",  with this you get a digest of issues from the last 7 days that are saved in your system.  _No_ personal information is revealed.

A properly functioning drive should complete in ~ 3 minutes.  Marginal blocks that must be re-read multiple  times in order to get good data will add extra  run-time.

May 8, 2020 8:40 AM in response to DrCry555

Try testing with no peripherals attached other then mouse and keyboard.

CleanMyMac is a big problem. It conflicts with self-cleaning routines that have been built into the Mac OS for about 20 years. It has to go. NO third-party products that claim to clean, tune up, optimize, or find you Mac a mate are needed and ALL will hurt performance.

I question whether you bought enough Mac for Logic and other pro apps. You have 8GB RAM in a sealed computer for which Apple won't do RAM upgrades, and upgrading is so hard some Apple Authorized Service Providers won't either. The extra labor doubles the cost of adding RAM.

I would have at minimum bought an iMac with the i5 processor option. From the MacTracker database:

The top bar is your entry-level i3. The middle bar is the i5, and the bottom the lovely i7. Big differences.

Those entry-level iMacs also come with a very slow mechanical hard drive. Your drive scores of 70-80MB/s are about as high as we see for that particular drive in current iMacs, but my wife has an entry level 21.5" 2011 iMac that is obsolete as heck and yet its drive still posts speeds in the 100-110MB/s range. They installed faster drives in entry-level models eight years ago than they do today!

Post another Etrecheck report after completed evicting CleanMyMac and we'll if that is helps.

Apr 17, 2020 5:48 AM in response to Ferd II

Thanks. That did show that there is a problem, since everything started up WONDERFULLY in safe mode, but it didn't fix the problem. I cleared caches at /library/caches AND with CleanMyMac (out of desperation). Should I do it some other way? Also, could this be related to the fact that my external hard drive (4T) NEVER winds down. It runs all of the time the computer is running (whether I am accessing it or not).

Apr 17, 2020 8:08 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks again. I ran First Aid in Recovery Mode 5 times, and they all looked the same. I had 3 main errors all 5 times:

Error: Cross Check: FSroot tree references extent (0X19d63**+* ) which is not present in the ExtentRef tree

Error: Cross Check: FSroot tree references extent (0X19d63**+* ) has kind APFS_KIND_UPDATE but was not referenced previously

Error: Cross Check: Mismatch between extentref entry reference count (0) and calculated fsroot entry reverence count (2) for extent (0X19d63**+*)

Then at the end, it says:

Verifying allocated space.

Performing deferred repairs.

Warning: found physical extent corruption but repairs are disabled

The volume /dev/rdisk2s1 appears to be OK

File system check exit code is 0

Restoring the original state found as mounted

I'm guessing that it won't matter how many times I run it. Thoughts?

May 8, 2020 4:11 PM in response to Allan Jones

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, eliminating all of the peripheries did not help. I still got over 50 bounces when I went to start up Word (twice). All of the apps start slowly, but the Office stuff is by far the worst (and Safari seems to open the fastest consistently, although it's by no means fast). After I unplugged all of the peripheries, I decided to start it in Safe Mode first, and it took ELEVEN minutes to startup. Obviously there is something during startup that is causing the problem, but I can't figure out what.

As for the other suggestions, this was happening long before I got CleanMyMac. In fact, this is the REASON I got it. So that's not the problem.

And my speed is not a problem either. I just spent the afternoon recording (both audio tracks and software instruments) on Logic Pro X (on a file with 23 tracks) AND Final Cut Pro (20 videos on the timeline) simultaneously and did not have a single problem.

Any other thoughts?

SLOW Application startup on new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.