Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purging multiple local backups at once?

Hi!

In this discussion, I was told to do this in order to purge local backups:

Purging local backups

Please note that although this doesn't affect your remote backup from Time Machine, this will get rid of the redundancy (at least until the next Time Machine backup) that a local backup disk will provide. If you need such redundancy or are worried about the recovery of your data then you would be best served to let macOS determine when to purge these files.

Start Terminal from spotlight.

At the terminal type tmutil listlocalsnapshotdates.

Hit enter.

Here, you'll now see a list of all of the locally stored Time Machine backup snapshots stored on your disk.

Next you can remove the snapshots based on their date. I prefer to delete them one at at time. Once my "System" disk usage is at an acceptable level, I stop deleting but you can delete all of them if you want to reclaim all of the disk space.

Back at the terminal, type tmutil deletelocalsnapshots YYYY-MM-DD-HHMMSS , where will be one of the dates from your backup. This will be in the form of xxx-yy-zz-abcdef. Try to start with the oldest snapshot.

Hit enter.

Repeat for as many snapshot dates as required

My question is this: is there a way to delete all of them at once?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 2:03 PM

tmutil deletelocalsnapshots /

Similar questions

3 replies

Purging multiple local backups at once?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.