Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos from Iphone not showing up on Imac since updating to IOS 15

I updated my Iphone SE2020 to IOS 15. I want to upload picture from my phone to Photos on my IMAC which is still running MacOS Big Sur . Ver 11.6.1

When I open photos it only shows 11 very old (2009)photos for importing.

I can't see any newer photos.

iPhone SE

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 8:01 AM

I called Apple and spoke to a senior advisor in the media department about my problem, not being able to upload my pictures from my phone to my Imac.

The answer is not to turn off Icloud, but to turn off optimising.

I did that and it worked for the problem.

4 replies

Dec 19, 2021 12:22 PM in response to L. Friedman

Hi, L. Friedman, and thanks for reaching out. We see you're having issues uploading photos to your Mac. We'll be glad to assist.

The first thing you'll want to check, is see if iCloud Photos is enabled on the iPhone. If it is, then you wouldn't have an option to import photos to your computer manually using a cable.

You can check for this under Settings > Your Name > iCloud.

For more info, check out this article: Set up and use iCloud Photos

We hope that helps.

Cheers!

Dec 19, 2021 2:00 PM in response to mario49

When i turn off ICloud photos, I get a window asking me if I want to download a copy of ICloud photos to the phone. (I want to keep what is on the phone as it is. And I have optimize storage on ).

then it says Photos and videos that have been optimized to save space will be removed from the phone.

next I am given two choices.

Remove from phone

and

Download photos and Videos

I assume that I am supposed to download the photos and videos.

this is confusing to me. It sounds like all the photos on the phone will be taken off because they are already optimized.

if I have I cloud photos turned off to the ICloud what happens if I have to reset the phone or get a new phone. How does the phone get my pictures that are on it before resetting?

when I had IOS 14.8 was ICloud photos turned off? I had no problems manually moving my photos to my iMac.

Was this something that changed in the way the new IOS works, or was it something that got turned on when it downloaded?

Dec 20, 2021 6:34 AM in response to L. Friedman

Hi, L. Friedman. To clarify on the "optimized photos and videos being removed"; basically your iPhone will store lower quality versions of photos and videos on your device with iCloud Photo Library enabled. That way, you can still view them, but they don't take up as much space as the full resolution images and videos.

Essentially, since turning off iCloud Photos will have you download all the original full resolution images and videos, the lower quality ones won't be needed (as they're being replaced with the full sized ones). That's what it's referring to.

We wouldn't be able to answer how exactly iCloud Photos became enabled on your device if it was off previously. It could have been accidentally been enabled during the setup process when you upgraded or similar, but we'd have no way of knowing for sure.

Take care!

photos from Iphone not showing up on Imac since updating to IOS 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.