Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive icon flickers from custom icon to folder icon

This question may have already been answered, but I tried several phrasings in my searches and could not find anything similar. So here's the problem: I have a backup drive with a custom icon. At random times, roughly ten times an hour, Monterey redraws the icon for the backup drive as a simple folder, then changes its mind and redraws the custom icon correctly. I wouldn't mind the bug but for the fact that the activity is as distracting as one of those infuriating web advertisements that flashes something on and off.

Has anybody experienced the same problem? It does appear related to the many problems reported about external hard drives. The only solution I have come up with so far involves a large sledge hammer.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 9:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 12:47 PM

Thanks for keeping the thread up to speed with what you've learned ErasmusFrog,

If you set a custom icon, on a standard folder stored locally on the startup volume, does the icon you set remain, regardless of items being copied or removed from the folder? What if you create a folder on the thumb drive, can you reproduce the behavior with a custom icon set for that folder?

We ask to help isolate the behavior. As your Time Machine drive is accessed regularly by the system, it may not behave the same way we'd expect a normal locally stored folder to. Similarly, removable storage volumes have their own properties as well.

The following page outlines the steps for customizing icons for files and folders on your Mac: Change icons for files or folders on Mac

We look forward to you sharing your results with the community!

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2021 12:47 PM in response to ErasmusFrog

Thanks for keeping the thread up to speed with what you've learned ErasmusFrog,

If you set a custom icon, on a standard folder stored locally on the startup volume, does the icon you set remain, regardless of items being copied or removed from the folder? What if you create a folder on the thumb drive, can you reproduce the behavior with a custom icon set for that folder?

We ask to help isolate the behavior. As your Time Machine drive is accessed regularly by the system, it may not behave the same way we'd expect a normal locally stored folder to. Similarly, removable storage volumes have their own properties as well.

The following page outlines the steps for customizing icons for files and folders on your Mac: Change icons for files or folders on Mac

We look forward to you sharing your results with the community!

Dec 20, 2021 2:58 PM in response to ErasmusFrog

Hi ErasmusFrog,

To isolate further, let's try booting your Mac in safe mode. That's going to temporarily prevent any non-essential software from loading with your Mac on boot.

After booting in safe mode, note the result, then boot normally. If the issue was not present in safe mode, but returned again when you boot normally, that would indicate software that wasn't loaded while in safe mode may be the cause.

The following page explains how to boot your Mac in safe mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode

Let us know the results. Best wishes.

Dec 20, 2021 6:44 AM in response to ErasmusFrog

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities ErasmusFrog,

We understand you're encountering an issue with an icon used for an external drive you use to backup your Mac.

Providing more info can increase your chances of getting a response.

Is the drive used for a Time Machine backup, or do you backup manually or with other software?

By custom icon, do you mean you manually added it? Or it originally showed a manufacturer icon?

Thanks!

Dec 20, 2021 7:05 AM in response to SnickZ.

That's for responding. The backup drive is used by TimeMachine. It's a 4 TB hard drive with only 1 TB used, leaving 3 TB free. The icon is a custom icon that I manually installed.

I have tried to see some pattern in the way it flickers, but I can't figure it out. Once it flickered three times in 20 seconds, and sometimes it will go for an hour without any flickers. There doesn't seem to be any relationship between what I'm doing, or what application I'm using, and the flickering. I have iStat menus installed and I have seen no relationship between the flickering an CPU activity or memory load.

Yes, this is truly weird.

Dec 20, 2021 9:08 AM in response to SnickZ.

I just did some experiments and I have zeroed in on the exact cause of the flickering. I mounted a thumb drive with a custom icon that I manually installed, then began transferring new files to it and deleting those files. Sure enough, the icon flickered between "folder" and "custom" several times during this process. Similarly, I established that the backup drive icon flickers when Time Machine is writing to it.

This does not appear to be an immediate reaction to changes to the drive; my impression is that there are two threads at work. The first thread is the one writing to the drive. The second threat appears to be some sort of Finder updating thread that rewrites the icon when it discovers that the contents of the drive have changed.

Dec 20, 2021 2:42 PM in response to ryane77

Yep, your first suggestion boxed it in a bit more. I created a new folder on the desktop, gave it a custom icon, and then transferred a file into it. Sure enough, a few seconds later the custom icon was replaced by a folder icon, and half a second later that folder icon was replaced by the custom icon. This happened on the desktop, which is stored on the internal drive, so the problem is not limited to external drives.

I have already confirmed that the problem happens with thumb drives, too.

I checked the page to which you linked showing the procedure for adding a custom icon. I was much surprised to learn that the old method I have used for decades has been replaced by a much simpler method. In the old days, we had to convert an image to ICN format to use it as a custom icon, but now we can just paste an image in and Monterey handles everything. Nice! But alas, the problem remains even with a folder made this way: I transfer a file into it, and a second later it flickers from custom icon to standard icon and back to custom icon.

It now appears that the problem might be due to some application I installed that plays games with the OS. The only two I can think of that might do so are Intego, the virus protection software, and iStat Menus -- not particularly suspicious apps. I have installed no weirdo apps or modified the system in any screwball ways. Hmmm... the plot thickens.

Dec 20, 2021 4:58 PM in response to mikeg28806

OK, I rebooted in safe mode and experienced the same problem. It flickers when I transfer a file to a folder on the desktop (internal hard drive), the backup drive (external hard drive). I could not, however, get any thumb drives to mount -- rather odd but after I returned to standard mode, I could mount thumb drives.

This plot is definitely getting too thick! 🙃

Hard drive icon flickers from custom icon to folder icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.