Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air loses Internet Connection frequently

My MacBook Air is connected to Wifi but suddenly lost Internet connection and I have to restart in order to regain it every time this happens. This starts happening many months ago and has been happening much more often in the past couple months, that is two to three times each week and the timing is random. Turning wifi on and off does not help. None of my other devices connected to the same wifi has this problem.

My MacBook Air is 13 inch from early 2015.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 10:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 10:17 PM

VarinS Said:

"MacBook Air loses Internet Connection frequently: My MacBook Air is connected to Wifi but suddenly lost Internet connection and I have to restart in order to regain it every time this happens."

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Wi-Fi:

A few thoughts to try...

I. Clear the Temporary Internet Files:

II. Restart your Router:

1. Power: off the router
  2. Wait: 30 seconds
  3. Power: It back on

III. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

IV. Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an error with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

V. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Basel Macs Only) Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2021 10:17 PM in response to VarinS

VarinS Said:

"MacBook Air loses Internet Connection frequently: My MacBook Air is connected to Wifi but suddenly lost Internet connection and I have to restart in order to regain it every time this happens."

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Wi-Fi:

A few thoughts to try...

I. Clear the Temporary Internet Files:

II. Restart your Router:

1. Power: off the router
  2. Wait: 30 seconds
  3. Power: It back on

III. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

IV. Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an error with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

V. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Basel Macs Only) Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

Dec 19, 2021 10:20 PM in response to VarinS

Hi,

Try to check your Internet connection via WiFi with following article.

If your Mac doesn't connect to the Internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, Try to check your WiFi module with Apple Diagnostics if it reports something related WiFi error.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

MacBook Air loses Internet Connection frequently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.