Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an iMac (M1) read an HDMI (out) signal via the Thunderbolt 4 (in) port using an HDMI to USB-C cable?

Generally speaking, given an HDMI out signal connected to the computer through an HDMI to USB-C adapter, is there any way to read the signal that the Mac receives and display it on the computer screen?

Just to be clear, I am not asking how to get a signal from the thunderbolt 4 (out) to an HDMI (in), I am asking exactly the opposite, how to get a signal from an HDMI (out) to a thunderbolt 4 (in).

(begin details)

Specifically, I am trying to salvage old cassettes from twenty years ago, and let me tell you it has been a nightmare. Nothing reads MiniDV anymore, so I had to find an old handycam, which broke down, I found another one, which did not have the right cables, I bought the cables, the encoding was wrong, I fixed the encoding, the tray got stuck, went to repair, they cannot obtain replacement parts. Iterate over a few more handycams, and I now have:

1. something that reads the cassettes, (a working handycam)
  2. composite AV cables (red, white and yellow) that plug to the handycam at a 4 pin FireWire (or “i•Link”) connector,
  3. a composite AV output which (Hurray!) displays correctly on a regular flat screen television,
  4. a USB powered AV to HDMI converter which, you guessed it, outputs a valid HDMI signal and, finally,
  5. an HDMI to USB-C cable which I can plug into the Thunderbolt 4 ports of the M1 iMac.

I was under the impression that all I needed was open iMovie and import the signal, as if it were a mere FireWire signal, but somehow HDMI plays hide and seek. So really an alternative question is:

How in the world am I supposed to feed the output of the handycam (which reads the MiniDV tapes of two decades ago) into the computer (from this century) so that I may compile it into something a little more… future proof? (so that my grandchildren may enjoy the glory of shaky 720p footage with the colours smeared all over the place)

I've already spent more money on this than I am willing to admit, but here is a short list of solutions I have encountered which will not work in this case:

1. no cassette scanning services exist anywhere near me,
  2. no FireWire are still being sold, specifically the 4 pin to 4 pin I would need to connect the handycam directly to the Thunderbolt 4 port via a FireWire to USB-C connector (that is, neither the 4 pin to 4 pin nor the 4 pin to USB-C are available),
  3. plug and play AV capture gadgets have not worked so far and are mainly advertised as only compatible with Windows anyway,
  4. the television fried (as in overheat) every external memory I plugged into it, refuses to capture a composite AV or HDMI signal, only captures TV channels and when it does it formats the whole disc into something unreadable on anything other than the very same television (fine with me for proprietary content, but a little brutal for my intimate memories. No luck there)
  5. handycam distributors (I will not name names) have withdrawn all software support, could not find any drivers, such that even if I somehow managed to connect the handycam to the computer (even a Linux) cam and computer would never be able to talk to each other.

(end details)

In short, here is my setup:

MiniDV -> Handycam -> FireWire to composite AV cable -> USB powered Mini AV2HDMI ->HDMI to USB-C cable -> Thunderbolt port of the iMac (-> some software that would pick up the signal and display what I see when I plug the same setup into a television, and hopefully in such a way that my Mac can record the feed and save it for posterity as mp4 or m4v)

I am a little disappointed to discover at the last minute that the Thunderbolt 4 advertised as “this port that does everything” and which is technically the same kind of connector than a vulgar HDMI is refusing to play nice and at least prompt a “what do you want to do?” when connecting the HDMI out to USB-C cable, when iMacs from 2014 could readily be used as displays, welcoming an HDMI signal from the same Thunderbolt ports. Is the Mac able to see the HDMI signal and designed to ignore it?

Some of the tapes are showing signs of decay, I would really hope to be able to salvage the footage before it scrambles away. Any suggestions are very welcome. (I guess I'll give up, buy a tripod, and plain record the television with a smartphone. But I mean, how do professionals do it? Don't they have to handle cassettes or HDMI signals every now and then?)

Thanks to all.

Best regards,

Matt

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 9:03 AM

Hello MattFWH,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are unable to get video that is on analog video cassettes to import to your Mac so you can archive them. The good news is this should be possible, so please see this Apple resource on iMovie and get these specific Thunderbolt 2 to FireWire and Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapters to plug your camera directly into your iMac:

Import into iMovie on Mac from tape-based cameras

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter - Apple

Cheers!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2021 9:03 AM in response to MattFWH

Hello MattFWH,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are unable to get video that is on analog video cassettes to import to your Mac so you can archive them. The good news is this should be possible, so please see this Apple resource on iMovie and get these specific Thunderbolt 2 to FireWire and Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapters to plug your camera directly into your iMac:

Import into iMovie on Mac from tape-based cameras

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter - Apple

Cheers!

Dec 21, 2021 10:11 AM in response to jdo_apple

Dear Jdo,

Thank you for your kind reply.

I would only need a (male) 4pinFireWire to (male) 4pinFireWire cable in order to chain cables together using the adapters featured in the reply. Unfortunately, such a cable is no longer being sold anywhere near me. It is one of the solutions that would have done the trick, and sadly out of my reach.

Feel free to inform me of a FireWire cable being sold by Apple that would plug into the female 4pinFireWire of my handycam, or suggest a way of obtaining one (from overseas I suppose).

Just to be clear, am I to understand that there exists no way of getting the video from an HDMI signal into the ports of my iMac?

Best regards,

Matt

Dec 21, 2021 10:29 AM in response to MattFWH

Thanks for replying, MattFWH, and that additional info, it really helps! If you want, please reply with the exact camera model you are working with so we can get into specifics. Otherwise, contact Apple directly to get to an iMovie expert that may have more resources to help with your situation.

Get Support 

Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Dec 21, 2021 2:23 PM in response to jdo_apple

Dear Jdo,

Thank you again for contributing to solving my difficulties. I am greatly pleased with the help I am receiving.

The handycam the tapes were recorded on was a Sony DCR-HC51E, and the closest working handycam I could get my hands on is a Sony DCR-HC96. The cables are compatible with the former to plug to a Sony VDR-MC6 (DVD recorder) but I could not get it working with the latter model (I blame a different encoding due to a different zone, the device has a setting to change encoding but no combination of settings made it work).

My original attemp: old handycam -> firewire cable (assymetrical, one end has 9 pins instead of 4 pins, and is thicker) -> DVD recorder -> DVD+R or DVD-R if unavailable -> DVD reader -> micro USB to USB-C -> iMac, with a software to mirror the files from the DVD onto the computer in a no-trouble causing format as mp4 (encoding onto the DVD is some strange formatting that does not allow me to merely click and drag, and the native DVD player does not want to let me capture the files despite the absence of copy protection, go figure). Camera broke down, new camera does not talk well to DVD recorder (suggestions welcome!). Time for plan B:

DCR-HR96 -> Firewire 4pin to Firewire 4pin cable -> Firewire 4pin to Thunderbolt 2 adapter -> Thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter -> thunderbolt 4 port of the iMac

As I said, it’s the missing 4 pin to 4 pin cable that prevents me from enjoying the magnificent iMovie retro compatibility, which to me is still a myth until I manage to try it. (The Sony handycam is not even compatible with the Sony DVD recorder!)

I hope to be able to get my hands on that cable, then maybe I’ll consider pouring some more money to obtain the two (2) adapters (really there should be 1 adapter: one end male firewire 4pin and the other USB-C, but I’ll take the cable+adapters anytime, hoping to save my tapes from the tides of time!)

Best regards,

Matt

Dec 21, 2021 2:25 PM in response to hcsitas

Dear hcsitas,

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately I do not dispose of a similar service near me, and (with all due respect) am unwilling to sacrifice my irreplacable recorded memories on the altar of post-pandemic intercontinental shipping.

I continue to search for similar solutions a little closer to home.

Thank you again for the suggestion!

Best regards,

Matt

Can an iMac (M1) read an HDMI (out) signal via the Thunderbolt 4 (in) port using an HDMI to USB-C cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.