Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connect new Mac mini w/ m1 to '12 27" iMac webcam sound mic etc...

Just wondering how to connect my Mac mini to my 2012 27" iMac, especially for use with the built in webcam.

I was using the '12 27" iMac (running Catalina) as an external display to a '15 27" iMac (running Big Sur) with a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 2 cable no problem. Pretty sure I could even select either webcam via zoom. Thought it would be fairly simple to plug the 2012 27" iMac into the new Mac mini m1 but first off realized the mini needs a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter. Will the Mac mini be able to find the webcam? Not so concerned about sound, but also wondering will the Mac mini be able to find the microphone in the 2012 27" iMac (which is currently running Catalina, although was thinking to install Big Sur via using a external drive)

thanks!

Posted on May 1, 2021 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2021 9:33 PM

Hi tyezao,

Sorry, this will not work. M1 Macs and macOS Big Sur don't support Target Display Mode and these functionalities.

Cheers,

Jack

Similar questions

1 reply

connect new Mac mini w/ m1 to '12 27" iMac webcam sound mic etc...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.