You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect a Logitech Brio webcam to the Thunderbolt port on an iMac late 2013?

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

I bought a Logitech Brio and I have connected it to my late 2013 27"iMac for Zoom video calls.

Since I have connected the Brio to a USB 2 port, it can only offer upto 1080p resolution.

Is there any way by which I can connect it to the Thunderbolt ports behind? To make things trickier, I am not sure if it is Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2 in the IMac that I own!

I would be very grateful if anyone could advise me as to what cable / converter I would need to make this happen.

Thanks once again.

Cheers,

John

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 11:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 3:08 PM

The USB ports on a Late 2013 27 inch iMac or USB3 ports, not USB2. The Thunderbolt-1 port on that old iMac is not capable of a USB-C connection, and you will be likely restricted to 1080p on the slower USB3 connection. That is as good as it gets with that era of iMac. You over-purchased your webcam tech for your existing Mac hardware.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 28, 2021 3:08 PM in response to jodaromi

The USB ports on a Late 2013 27 inch iMac or USB3 ports, not USB2. The Thunderbolt-1 port on that old iMac is not capable of a USB-C connection, and you will be likely restricted to 1080p on the slower USB3 connection. That is as good as it gets with that era of iMac. You over-purchased your webcam tech for your existing Mac hardware.

Jun 28, 2021 5:30 PM in response to VikingOSX

according to these specs you should be doing the 4k video that you wan't which makes me think maybe you got a messed up camera or a messed up usb port.

• macOS 10.10 or later
  • Chrome OS™
  • 2 GB RAM or more needed for 1080p video streaming
  • 1GB is typically needed for streaming 720p

One USB 2 or USB 3 port (4K recording and streaming requires a USB 3.0 port and compatible third party software)

How to connect a Logitech Brio webcam to the Thunderbolt port on an iMac late 2013?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.