Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I plug HDMI video input device (camera) into MacBook Air (M1, 2020)?

I want to plug an HDMI video camera into my MacBook Air (M1, 2020) USB C port, but I can’t seem to find a device that will allow that.

Thanks for any clues.

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 12:11 PM

danorton2014 wrote:

I want to plug an HDMI video camera...

You cannot simply use an HDMI to USB-C adapter as there is no capability in the computer to directly stream video from an HDMI devices. You will need some sort of interface box similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Capture-Recording-Wonderful-Streaming-Recorder/dp/B091NX27S8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1X5LDTJJNLRYB&keywords=hdmi+to+USB-C+video+capture&qid=1654283222&sprefix=hdmi+to+usb-c+video+capture%2Caps%2C79&sr=8-3

If you search "HDMI to USB-C video capture" on Amazon you will find quite a variety.

The inexpensive ones may do what you need unless you want higher quality then the the quality of the needed device you want will only be limited by your wallet.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2022 12:11 PM in response to danorton2014

danorton2014 wrote:

I want to plug an HDMI video camera...

You cannot simply use an HDMI to USB-C adapter as there is no capability in the computer to directly stream video from an HDMI devices. You will need some sort of interface box similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Capture-Recording-Wonderful-Streaming-Recorder/dp/B091NX27S8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1X5LDTJJNLRYB&keywords=hdmi+to+USB-C+video+capture&qid=1654283222&sprefix=hdmi+to+usb-c+video+capture%2Caps%2C79&sr=8-3

If you search "HDMI to USB-C video capture" on Amazon you will find quite a variety.

The inexpensive ones may do what you need unless you want higher quality then the the quality of the needed device you want will only be limited by your wallet.

Jun 3, 2022 11:53 AM in response to danorton2014

You MBA has USB-C type ports. You don't use another device, you get the proper cable or you use and adapter for the cables you already have.

I assume the video input device you have has an HDMI port and maybe even came with a cable.

Regardless, to use the USB-C type ports on your Mac to attach any device, you have to use a cable with a USB-C termination on one end and whatever type the device requires on the other end.

Can I plug HDMI video input device (camera) into MacBook Air (M1, 2020)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.