Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Minimal power for charging MacBook Pro M1 Max via USB-C

Hi there,

My previous Macbook pro 2019 was charging via USB-C from my External Monitor.

It was cool - one cable for external monitor + charging.

Bought new MacBook Pro 2021 M1 Max. Now this laptop is not charging via Monitor (60 watt).

Somebody know the minimal power for charging this machine?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 10:39 AM

Maybe this will help you: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201700

I don't think minimal wattage is your problem. Less wattage than the OEM charger might charge a bit slower, but it will still charge. I'd suspect your setup is somehow not compatible but that's strictly a guess.

5 replies

Dec 20, 2021 11:07 AM in response to WebSecure

Apple doesn’t publish that info.

And empirically, you already know the answer for your particular combination of hardware.

96 watts is enough for a MacBook Pro 14” or 16” M1 Pro model, and either the 60 watts provided by the monitor isn’t, or the monitor somehow isn’t negotiating the expected Power Delivery information for what it is delivering.

Check for a monitor firmware update here, too.

Officially, this Mac needs 96 watts: About Mac power adapters - Apple Support

…and here is how Apple suggests you: Charge your 14-inch or 16-inch MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Seems some monitors can have other issues with PD support, too:

https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/U3818DW-USB-Type-C-power-delivery-problem/td-p/7452974

Minimal power for charging MacBook Pro M1 Max via USB-C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.