Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging MacBook Pro 14inch - power input from usb c and MagSafe

Hello,

I currently have my MacBook Pro connected to an external monitor via usb c. This connection also delivers 15watts of power to the MacBook. This is clearly not enough to charge the MacBook, so I also have the MagSafe charger connected.

Is this safe to do so? Is providing the MacBook with two power sources a bad thing? Especially if it is plugged into both nearly all day (unplugged at night). Just don't want to prematurely destroy the battery.

I run it purely off the battery at least once a week while out and about.

Thanks for any help!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 1:33 PM

HutchE92 wrote:

Hello,

I currently have my MacBook Pro connected to an external monitor via usb c. This connection also delivers 15watts of power to the MacBook. This is clearly not enough to charge the MacBook, so I also have the MagSafe charger connected.

Is this safe to do so? Is providing the MacBook with two power sources a bad thing? Especially if it is plugged into both nearly all day (unplugged at night). Just don't want to prematurely destroy the battery.

Thanks for any help!

Yes it is safe.

It is preferred to use the charger— this is not an issue w/ the Display.

You can not over charge the battery. The rule of thumb if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need portability than run on battery only.

You do not have to micro-manage the battery— built in software does this for you

About battery health management in Mac notebooks

w/ silicon

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2022 1:33 PM in response to HutchE92

HutchE92 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for any help!

Yes it is safe.

It is preferred to use the charger— this is not an issue w/ the Display.

You can not over charge the battery. The rule of thumb if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need portability than run on battery only.

You do not have to micro-manage the battery— built in software does this for you

About battery health management in Mac notebooks

w/ silicon

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

Charging MacBook Pro 14inch - power input from usb c and MagSafe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.