Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update and Text Messages

I am a major "deleter" of emails and text messages. It is clutter to me. If I need something saved, i'll file it or put it in notes, etc. Overnight, I did the macOS Monterey 12.1 update. Well, today, old deleted text messages all the way back to 2017, so far, have flooded in! These were all deleted and I figured gone forever! Now I have a zillion text messages on my laptop and as far as I can tell, so far, they have to be deleted one by one! Yesterday, I had two current text messages...today, I have tons! What the heck happened and is there any way to just delete them all at one time? And does anyone know "why" this happened. Seems every time I do an update on my phone, iPad or laptop, something goes wonky!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 10:34 AM

Hello AliceH66,

Thanks for reaching out using Apple Support Communities!

We understand you're unexpectedly seeing old messages on your Mac after the update.

It sounds like you might have enabled iCloud for Messages on your Mac, detailed here: Set up iCloud for Messages on all your devices - Apple Support

If this is enabled, might this be what you're seeing on your Mac at this time?

We hope this helps understand and resolve the issue.

Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2021 10:34 AM in response to AliceH66

Hello AliceH66,

Thanks for reaching out using Apple Support Communities!

We understand you're unexpectedly seeing old messages on your Mac after the update.

It sounds like you might have enabled iCloud for Messages on your Mac, detailed here: Set up iCloud for Messages on all your devices - Apple Support

If this is enabled, might this be what you're seeing on your Mac at this time?

We hope this helps understand and resolve the issue.

Cheers!

Update and Text Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.