Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating password for email on Macbook Air

I've changed my email password through Google and now I need to update my settings on the Mail program in order to send and receive mail through my MacBook Air. I've found where someone else asked about how to change the password and i_rina replied that he would have to delete that email address from the accounts and then re-add it. Not only does this sound like a 1980s kind of solution, but I'm also wondering if this will delete all of the email that is currently stored under that account on this MacBook? Isn't there a way to simply update the password without throwing a bunch of information away and starting over?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 4:49 PM

Depends. In Mail, preferences go to account and then server settings. It may show the field to change your PW and it may not. If not (like my yahoo mail) you need to redo the account from scratch. But I would copy your mail folder contents to "on my Mac" just to be safe and then delete and make the new account. Once setup you can move the "on My Mac" email back to the old folders.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2021 4:49 PM in response to barefootmeg

Depends. In Mail, preferences go to account and then server settings. It may show the field to change your PW and it may not. If not (like my yahoo mail) you need to redo the account from scratch. But I would copy your mail folder contents to "on my Mac" just to be safe and then delete and make the new account. Once setup you can move the "on My Mac" email back to the old folders.

Updating password for email on Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.