How to change an email password

I need to change my email password on my Mac. But when I go to preferences>internet accounts>email, there is no option to change the password. How can I accomplish this?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 2:59 PM

Changing your password is done on the internet providers website. You will then need to update the password in your Mail Settings. When updating the password in Mail, you will need to provide it in to locations, the first one is for incoming email (POP/IMAP) and the second location is for sending the email and is called SMTP.

If you need help with updating the password in the Mail application after changing it on you email providers website, then feel free to reply with the OS version and someone will be able to guide you on doing that. In general, for the Mac it is at Mail > Settings > Accounts > Server Settings.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2023 2:59 PM in response to Mindo_3

Changing your password is done on the internet providers website. You will then need to update the password in your Mail Settings. When updating the password in Mail, you will need to provide it in to locations, the first one is for incoming email (POP/IMAP) and the second location is for sending the email and is called SMTP.

If you need help with updating the password in the Mail application after changing it on you email providers website, then feel free to reply with the OS version and someone will be able to guide you on doing that. In general, for the Mac it is at Mail > Settings > Accounts > Server Settings.

Oct 7, 2023 1:56 PM in response to Mindo_3

Which email password? I have 2 accounts on my computer and none of them are from Apple.

Exactly how you change your iCloud email password (and in fact the password for your entire Apple ID) depends upon if this is an adult or a child, and the equipment you have. Click on this link to learn how to change your Apple ID password --> Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

How to change an email password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.