Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your Apple ID Code is..." text message

A text message showed up saying "Your Apple ID Code is: xxxxxx. Don't share with anyone." I hadn't requested any codes or changes, so I changed my Apple ID. Was this some sort of phishing text?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 4:24 PM

Apple does not send 2FA codes by text message. By default, they are sent to your trusted devices by encrypted iCloud notification (see image in -> Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support).

A text or voice call will ever be made when you request a code to your backup number if you’re unable to access a trusted device.

So any unsolicited text is a scam. Was their a URL embedded in that text?

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2021 4:24 PM in response to k-1380

Apple does not send 2FA codes by text message. By default, they are sent to your trusted devices by encrypted iCloud notification (see image in -> Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support).

A text or voice call will ever be made when you request a code to your backup number if you’re unable to access a trusted device.

So any unsolicited text is a scam. Was their a URL embedded in that text?

Feb 23, 2022 2:49 PM in response to k-1380

Hi k-1380,

Thanks for your question in Apple Support Communities, we see that you're getting text messages with verification codes and are concerned about them.

While those verification codes may or may not be valid, it is possible that Apple will send a verification code via text or phone call, as outlined in Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication. If you are getting codes and have not signed in with a device, someone may be trying to access your account, and this second factor has helped protect you. You should review your account details at appleid.apple.com, and you may need to change your password if it is a weak password or is a password you’ve shared across other services.

In addition to a verification code being sent with a sign in, a verification code may be sent as part of Account Recovery. You can check out How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password for more information.

Cheers!

Dec 27, 2021 5:29 AM in response to k-1380

Same thing happening to me for I think for 2 days now and I barely wake up to get someone has messaged me saying I have his old phone number and wants me to send the Apple ID code and he’ll pay me $50. Which I still wouldn’t send it since it’s an Obvious No No, just a no good person trying to steal info. Which don’t EVER send the code to any stranger no matter what story they tell you!

"Your Apple ID Code is..." text message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.