Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my hard drive be upgraded in my MacBook Air?

I have a newer MacBook and I love it other than needing more hard drive space. Is there anyway I can have my hard drive upgraded? And does anyone know the cost?

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 4:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 5:13 AM

Another way to free up space without messing with the internal drive is to simply buy an external drive and move lots of your personal data to it. There is likely lots of stuff you have on it that is not needed on a daily basis and cone move it to an external drive and then plug it in when you need that data. Things that generally take up lots of space are videos (movies, TV shows, etc.), photos, etc.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2021 5:13 AM in response to SenseiCoffey

Another way to free up space without messing with the internal drive is to simply buy an external drive and move lots of your personal data to it. There is likely lots of stuff you have on it that is not needed on a daily basis and cone move it to an external drive and then plug it in when you need that data. Things that generally take up lots of space are videos (movies, TV shows, etc.), photos, etc.

Dec 20, 2021 4:45 PM in response to SenseiCoffey

It depends on the model year of your MacBook Air.

The following is one well-regarded source and has prices for the necessary components and also has the following statement:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-air

Since 2018, Apple began to solder in the SSDs of all MacBook Air laptops, which makes upgrading the internal storage of these models impossible.

Can my hard drive be upgraded in my MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.