Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deceased Sister's Ipad

Hi, My sister has recently passed away and had an Ipad (model A2270) 8th generation. It is still under Warranty (expires 5/10/22).

We know the lock code and are able to open it, and we've cleaned any important information and pictures off the iPad, but we don't know her Apple ID password. We know the email address on the account, but don't know the password for her email and therefore can't reset the password. Without access to her Apple ID we can't switch the device to a new Apple ID, which renders it not very useful.

I hate to throw it away, but it is not very useful with her old Apple ID in it. Question is, is there any way to reset it and put it under someone else's Apple ID without knowing her current Apple ID password?

We don't have the original receipt for when it was purchase, but we do have a death certificate for her.

If there is no way to assign it to a new Apple ID, can it be used for a trade in to get a discount off a new device? If so, do you know how much trade credit it is worth?

Thank you

MikeN-

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 6:46 PM

You will have to have her Apple ID and Password in order to get past Activation Lock. This link might help you...

https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid

The only other way to gain access to the iPad is a lengthy legal process described in this link...

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

If you don't choose to go that route, you can recycle the device at any Apple Store.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2021 6:46 PM in response to MikeN-

You will have to have her Apple ID and Password in order to get past Activation Lock. This link might help you...

https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid

The only other way to gain access to the iPad is a lengthy legal process described in this link...

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

If you don't choose to go that route, you can recycle the device at any Apple Store.

Dec 21, 2021 6:25 PM in response to frazzm737

I appreciate the information, but that is information I already knew, but end up being a dead end.

I know the apple ID, I just don't know the password. Every time I do the "I forgot my password" it attempts to 1. send something to her cell phone (No and apple device, which was broken, and now is shut down), or send something to her email address (which we don't have the password to either (and attempts to send a code to the phone, which again is broken).

So the death certificate is an option, but what do I do with it? Take it to an Apple store? Do I send it to somewhere to validate it? It doesn't give much information on what to do once you have the paperwork.

Any next steps on what to do with the death certificate would be appreciated.

Deceased Sister's Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.