Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“Use this iphone to reset your apple id password”

Today i received a random system pop up withe message reading “ use this iphone to reset your apple id password” which i declined. It was followed by a tex message with the 2 factor authentication code. Was somebody trying to illegally access my account?

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 9:21 PM

It was a system message exactly like on the screenshot. Does that mean the scammer had my user and password and attempted to reset my password?

8 replies

Dec 20, 2021 7:55 PM in response to xmarcinmx

It sounds like a phishing scam to bait you into revealing your Apple ID credentials!

I sincerely hope you didn’t click anything in that fake text message!!

The scammer doesn’t know you, however; if you have read receipts enabled, then just by opening the text message, you have informed the scammer that your number is associated with your Apple ID.

Turn off Read Receipts:

1. Open Settings
  2. Tap Messages
  3. Tap Send Read Receipts to turn off

Best advice I can offer is to quickly delete any suspicious text or email messages!

Stay safe! 😉

Dec 20, 2021 8:26 PM in response to xmarcinmx

Very good! 😉

There are some seriously real-looking scams out there!

I had one that looked like it was from my bank informing me of urgent messages.

Once I verified with the bank that there were no messages, I knew that deleting that message was the correct move.

I realize that notifications are alarming, so proceed with caution!!

When in doubt, always verify and never open or click anything suspicious.

Stay Safe! 😉

“Use this iphone to reset your apple id password”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.