Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync’ing iCloud with photos on iPad

My son saves so many photos on our iPad that it’s running out of memory. I’ve deleted about 20,000 photos from his iCloud account (after backing them up elsewhere) but they’re still on the iPad. I just noticed a message in Photos that said that restore from iCloud is paused. Is that why? Is restoring the same thing as sync’ing?

What will happen if I turn restore back on? I just don’t want to mess up anything. Thanks!

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 10:31 PM

cfrey Said:

"Sync’ing iCloud with photos on iPad:."

-------

Thank you for the reply.

Q1. "Im just trying to figure out (1) why deleting images from iCloud doesn’t remove them from his iPad"

A1. They are not deleted from his iPad because they have already been downloaded.

Q2. "if the paused iCloud restore has something to do with that."

A2. No. This iCloud restore is only going to not stall if there is nothing running in the background, and if there is not much going on (and downloading thousands would take days). So, sign out of iCloud, and then re-perform the restoration.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2021 10:31 PM in response to cfrey

cfrey Said:

"Sync’ing iCloud with photos on iPad:."

-------

Thank you for the reply.

Q1. "Im just trying to figure out (1) why deleting images from iCloud doesn’t remove them from his iPad"

A1. They are not deleted from his iPad because they have already been downloaded.

Q2. "if the paused iCloud restore has something to do with that."

A2. No. This iCloud restore is only going to not stall if there is nothing running in the background, and if there is not much going on (and downloading thousands would take days). So, sign out of iCloud, and then re-perform the restoration.

Dec 20, 2021 9:30 PM in response to cfrey

cfrey Said:

"Sync’ing iCloud with photos on iPad: My son saves so many photos on our iPad that it’s running out of memory. I’ve deleted about 20,000 photos from his iCloud account (after backing them up elsewhere) but they’re still on the iPad. I just noticed a message in Photos that said that restore from iCloud is paused. Is that why? Is restoring the same thing as sync’ing? What will happen if I turn restore back on? I just don’t want to mess up anything. Thanks!"

-------

Downloading iCloud:

Rather than deleting it all, simply download these items to an external drive. See my User Tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip

Dec 20, 2021 9:52 PM in response to TheLittles

I’m downloading photos about 1000 at a time to my laptop, then saving them to Google Drive so he still has access to them (he doesn’t love with me). Im just trying to figure out (1) why deleting images from iCloud doesn’t remove them from his iPad and (2) if the paused iCloud restore has something to do with that.

Sync’ing iCloud with photos on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.