Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encrypt Backup, or Encrypt disk or both?

Do I need to do both? Is it the same or good enough to use an encrypted disk without encrypting the backups or is it safer to do both? What else should I consider?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 4:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 5:47 AM

So I think choosing to Encrypt backups merely encrypts the disk and there really IS NOT a choice to do both.

I think I'm now confused as to what you were asking.

Encryption is always full disk. There is no option to encrypt individual items.

You can encrypt the backup disk or not, and that is entirely independent of whether your source is encrypted or not.

You can encrypt the source and the backup.

You can encrypt the source and not the backup.

You can not encrypt the source and encrypt the backup.

You can encrypt neither the source nor the backup.

In any of those cases, when you encrypt, the full disk is encrypted whether it is the source or the backup drive.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2021 5:47 AM in response to Stinsonddog

So I think choosing to Encrypt backups merely encrypts the disk and there really IS NOT a choice to do both.

I think I'm now confused as to what you were asking.

Encryption is always full disk. There is no option to encrypt individual items.

You can encrypt the backup disk or not, and that is entirely independent of whether your source is encrypted or not.

You can encrypt the source and the backup.

You can encrypt the source and not the backup.

You can not encrypt the source and encrypt the backup.

You can encrypt neither the source nor the backup.

In any of those cases, when you encrypt, the full disk is encrypted whether it is the source or the backup drive.

Dec 21, 2021 8:07 AM in response to etresoft

yes ok agree, yet most don't have this technical level of expertise, and honestly if all this is true, this could be more clearly explained on their page - https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/keep-your-time-machine-backup-disk-secure-mh21241/mac

See item 4 on this page which really could explain what's explained in this thread.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/choose-a-backup-disk-set-encryption-options-mh11421/12.0/mac/12.0

Dec 21, 2021 5:41 AM in response to Stinsonddog

So after completing the backup without choosing to Encrypt the disk was not encrypted at all. I have no idea if this is a Monterey thing or this has worked this way all along. But basically when I went back into Time Machine, and tried to set up the same disk and select Encrypt backups this message suggests it basically encrypts the disk, not the individual backups.

Dec 21, 2021 4:35 AM in response to Stinsonddog

How sensitive is your data?

I encrypt my laptop as it could be easily stolen while out and about, but I don’t encrypt the backups stored at home.

I doubt anybody that snatches my laptop is looking for my banking information. They’re going to sell the Mac.

I don’t encrypt the backups because I don’t want another layer of possible failure, and the risk of my backup being stolen is low.

It is always best to have two backups, and I think it is most definitely required if you encrypt them.

Dec 21, 2021 4:55 AM in response to Barney-15E

After formatting and setting a PW if I ask for backups not encrypted, I get a message asking to remove the encryption. I think its worded poorly and I didn't take a screenshot. Now I removed the disk, and plugged it back in. Then started a backup, part way through (I am guessing after it needed to start writing to the disk), it asked for the PW, so maybe its ok. I will let it finish and see if it shows the disk encrypted after it completes. The messaging with the pop ups is not clear.

I guess you confirmed that you have the option to do both.

Dec 21, 2021 6:09 AM in response to Stinsonddog

Stinsonddog wrote:

Thanks for this clarification and detailed listing. What is confusing is the dialog box in Time Machine. It does NOT say "Encrypt Backup Disk" it says "Encrypt Backups" which led me to believe that the individual backup could be encrypted. I am fine with the full encrypted backup disk.

You can backup to network locations too. It would then be confusing to say “Encrypt Backup Disk” when only the backups are being encrypted. Technically, it is a virtual disk in this scenario, but this is why Apple prefers to use fewer technical terms.

Encrypt Backup, or Encrypt disk or both?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.