Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use time machine to backup to iCloud

How can I make a time machine backup to iCloud ? It doesn’t appear to give me that option. I am in the process of buying a new mbp and want to transfer my info from my mb air

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 1:17 PM

As muguy has already mentioned, iCloud is basically a syncing service as far as the Macs are concerned. The best method to transfer data between your old and new Macs would be via the Migration Assistant from a Time Machine backup. This backup would need to be on either a locally attached or network drive ... but, sorry, not from iCloud.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2021 1:17 PM in response to mkog

As muguy has already mentioned, iCloud is basically a syncing service as far as the Macs are concerned. The best method to transfer data between your old and new Macs would be via the Migration Assistant from a Time Machine backup. This backup would need to be on either a locally attached or network drive ... but, sorry, not from iCloud.

Dec 22, 2021 1:40 AM in response to mkog

Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

For addition purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Manage your iCloud storage

Set up iCloud on all your devices

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Can I use time machine to backup to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.