Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey - no automatic login after MacOS crash

After Monterey crashes and starts up again, there is no automatic login (the standard login screen is displayed with no user logged in). In Big Sur automatic login did function after a crash as I expected.

After a 'normal' shutdown/restart the automatic login is functioning as expected in Monterey.

How can I change this? I'm running Monterey 21.1 on a Mac Mini M1.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 6:51 AM

" no automatic login " implies Set your Mac to automatically log in during startup and normally, in my setup, is the Admin Account. Do not have any Standard Accounts and Guest Account is Turned off.

As for the Crash - does one want to explore the cause and possible Solutions ?

If so, do come back and we can see what we can help with it.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2021 6:51 AM in response to forappie

" no automatic login " implies Set your Mac to automatically log in during startup and normally, in my setup, is the Admin Account. Do not have any Standard Accounts and Guest Account is Turned off.

As for the Crash - does one want to explore the cause and possible Solutions ?

If so, do come back and we can see what we can help with it.

Dec 22, 2021 3:10 AM in response to forappie

Can not speak to Automatic Log In as I do not use it nor will I use it. Personal Preferences.

IMHO it would be leaving the computer open to anybody passing by having automatic access to the computer and possibly changing things., a this will automatically have Admin Privileges .

The Crash is troublesome and bears investigating ? Never had a Crash on same machine as yours and never had a crash in Big Sur and not since upgrading to Monterey 12.01 and updating to 12.1

Dec 22, 2021 5:31 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for your advice.

However, I don't understand the comments about automatic access. The user automatically logging in is a standard account and does not have admin privileges. Anyone wanting access to the computer would still need a password in the same way as if that someone switches the computer on (ie the standard macOS log in screen appears).

Monterey - no automatic login after MacOS crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.