Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Mail App icons

At the bottom of the Mail app are some icons, and i'm not sure exactly what they do. If there is documentation on them, i'm not sure where it is hidden, as i have searched the web fruitlessly. though honestly, i am not sure what to search, as i'm not even sure what to call the icons!

the one on the left is 3 bars, of varying lengths, and when i tap it, it seems to show some filtering options, though i'm not sure how to turn the filters off, as when i tap the checkmark next to "Unread", it stays checked, and i cannot seem to get it to show ALL emails, including the read ones.

secondly, there is an icon that looks similar to the "copy" icons i've seen in some apps, like two rounded squares, offset by a little bit, one overlaying the other. when i tap it, it brings up a slew of icons across the bottom, some saying "Mail" and others saying "New Message", and i am not sure how to get rid of them, or what they are, or what this "copy" icon even is for!

all i know is, even if i completely close the app and stop it from running, when i reopen Mail, those icons are strung across the bottom. i can swipe them off to the side, and they just go on for days, alternating between "Mail" and "New Message".

what ARE these? how did they get there? how do i remove them? and how do i keep this from happening again???

thank you.

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 2:59 AM

The iPad User Guide is a recommended (and often overlooked) resource that contains essential information about your iPad, iPadOS and its many features. Here is the relevant online page of the Guide that describes Mail Filtering:

Flag and filter emails on iPad – Apple Support

Moving on to the icon/button with two overlapping squares - that appears adjacent to the Mail Filter button…

The User Guide is currently less helpful with this this item - and will hopefully be updated with more information. The icon/button that you describe mere triggers display of the Mail Shelf (the Shelf being a new feature of iPadOS multitasking environment). Tapping the icon summons the shelf view - which will show you a thumbnail image of all the running instances of the Mail App. Where multiple instances are running, a simple tap of a thumbnail will instantly switch to that view.

The iPadOS multitasking environment permits you to run multiple “instances” of the same App, such as Mail - with each instance, perhaps having a different open inbox.

For example, if you have three running instances of Mail, tapping the icon you describe will open the shelf with three thumbnails - each corresponding to each running instance of Mail. Simply tapping a thumbnail will switch directly to that running instance of the Mail App. 

This article from Appleinsider has a useful explanation of this new feature along with many of the updates to multitasking:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/08/12/how-to-master-multitasking-on-ipad-and-ipad-pro-in-ipados-15

Another useful resource:

Use multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide is available both online using a web browser (such as Safari), or as an Apple Books download:

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104892

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2021 2:59 AM in response to darkflux88

The iPad User Guide is a recommended (and often overlooked) resource that contains essential information about your iPad, iPadOS and its many features. Here is the relevant online page of the Guide that describes Mail Filtering:

Flag and filter emails on iPad – Apple Support

Moving on to the icon/button with two overlapping squares - that appears adjacent to the Mail Filter button…

The User Guide is currently less helpful with this this item - and will hopefully be updated with more information. The icon/button that you describe mere triggers display of the Mail Shelf (the Shelf being a new feature of iPadOS multitasking environment). Tapping the icon summons the shelf view - which will show you a thumbnail image of all the running instances of the Mail App. Where multiple instances are running, a simple tap of a thumbnail will instantly switch to that view.

The iPadOS multitasking environment permits you to run multiple “instances” of the same App, such as Mail - with each instance, perhaps having a different open inbox.

For example, if you have three running instances of Mail, tapping the icon you describe will open the shelf with three thumbnails - each corresponding to each running instance of Mail. Simply tapping a thumbnail will switch directly to that running instance of the Mail App. 

This article from Appleinsider has a useful explanation of this new feature along with many of the updates to multitasking:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/08/12/how-to-master-multitasking-on-ipad-and-ipad-pro-in-ipados-15

Another useful resource:

Use multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide is available both online using a web browser (such as Safari), or as an Apple Books download:

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104892

Dec 25, 2021 12:48 PM in response to darkflux88

Soapbox all you like; Apple will not not see your comments. Beyond site moderation, Apple do not monitor these user-to-user technical forums.

If you wish your evangelising to be seen, Apple invite submission of constructive comment and feature requests via their Product Feedback portal:

Product Feedback - Apple

Moving back to technical topics, multitasking features - including the Shelf (applicable system-wide - not just Mail) - cannot be disabled in iPadOS15.

I seriously recommend that review of the iPad User Guide - especially when you update from one major version to another. As a self-professed “tech guy”, you will surely appreciate the extensive documentation that describes major system functionality in considerable detail. This documentation receives regular update.

Dec 21, 2021 11:23 PM in response to darkflux88

1. The 3 bars - Bottom Left corner - Its a Filter icon. You can move on to the filer options and place check marks as you see appropriate. You remove the check marks by clicking right on top of the check mark. To cancel the filter option or to turn it OFF just tap on the Filter icon again. NOTE: When the filter is active then the 3 bars will be highlighted in blue. When you remove or cancel the filter then there is no highlight color.
  2. The two overlapping/offset squares - Tap on this icon and it will add another window of the Mail app. That window can be customized to a mailbox or another section of the mail app. You can switch between windows by tapping on that icon again. You can close all the added windows by Touching and Flicking/Pushing them Upwards.

The icons discussed above are essential for the functionality and efficiency of the Mail app operations. I believe, those icons frustrate you because you just weren’t very clear on their function and operation. Hopefully, I have made your Mail app experience slightly easier.

Axel F.

Dec 24, 2021 11:29 AM in response to LotusPilot

thanks, you two, for your helpful details. and a special thanks to you LotusPilot, for giving me a NAME for that Mail Shelf "feature". for me, that is the most frustrating part of all of this: even if i wanted to SEARCH for a solution to my problems, with no name to go by, just a difficult to describe icon, i have no real way of finding help with what i was going thru! and trust me, i searched every strange descriptive name i could think of looking for answers, with no luck, either on this site or Google search.

if i may soapbox for just a moment, i would like to inform any Apple staff that happen to be reading this, that it is a BAD TREND that has been occurring in the tech world, relegating everything to icons. i see it on Windows PCs, too, with the Start menu filled up with meaningless tiles, which, unless you already know what they mean (an i do), they are USELESS to most non-tech savvy users! the first thing i do when i set up a Windows 10 PC for someone is to remove all those tiles. they are bulky and useless and too nondescript. and although Windows is just as bad as Apple in this regard, at least THEY let you REMOVE icons, and go back to just having the Programs list with actual names to sift through!

and before i get complaints of comparing apples to oranges (if you'll pardon the pun), even Windows' multitasking window manager (Task View) allows you to DELETE the shortcut completely! which keeps users from inadvertently clicking it and subsequently believing they have deleted all of their hard work and files in one go (yes, i have had to field that call).

in this case, i must ask: is there some way to DISABLE this Mail Shelf, or multi-window support in general? or maybe some way to remove that icon? if even a tech guy like me got lost, by unintentionally tapping on that obscure icon several dozen times (i have fat fingers), i can only dread what my clients and users must be going thru right now...

maybe move that icon off to the side, where it won't get accidentally clicked. perhaps a submenu somewhere, where only people who might actually WANT to use it would look for it. despite what Axel Foley has stated, i find it very hard to believe that these are "essential for the functionality and efficiency of the Mail app operations". not at all. why ANYONE would EVER want 50 instances of Mail app running in the background (seriously, i have fat fingers) eludes me, when in fact you can only view TWO max on-screen at a time! and also, these instances were MOSTLY of the exact same screen (the Mail main screen). what purpose would having dozens of the same screen running concurrently serve?

if you are trying to make computers easier to use, and not more obtuse, making it easier to use common tools, and move those that are intended for advanced users somewhere they won't get accidentally clicked maybe. or hey, how about an option for them in Settings? off by default, of course (at least hopefully).

i'm really NOT trying to sound like another grumpy users, but if even the tech guy cannot figure out how something works or even what it is, how can you expect users to?

</SOAPBOX>

iPad Mail App icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.