Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

just installed itunes on a new laptop for the first time and after installation it says there is a newer version of itunes

I just installed itunes on a new laptop for the first time and after installation it says there is a newer version of itunes. I am not having a problem with it but I am just curious as to why that would happen. I've seen some posts which suggest to remove the existing version and re-install. But it's just odd that when I install the itunes for the 64 bit windows right from the apple website and it says "there is a newer version". So why is the version on the apple website not the newest version then? The link is: https://support.apple.com/downloads/itunes (version says 12.10.11). But I think the newest version is 12.12.2.2. I am just curious as to why Apple itunes download page has the older version.

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 7:20 AM

12.10.11.2 is the last version that runs on Windows 7 & 8.

12.12.2.2 is the current version for Windows 10 & 11.

tt2

4 replies

just installed itunes on a new laptop for the first time and after installation it says there is a newer version of itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.