Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Administrator Access(Apple silicon)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8227002

I’ve tried above method, however it seems not working on M1 Apple silicon model, I tried to use the command provide by Mr John Galt in recovery mode terminal.

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

reboot

It said not permission or some sort, and I tried sudo, it said not such command.

Is there a way to achieve same result with previous “Single user mode” ?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 5:23 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Dec 22, 2021 7:35 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hi Barney,

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve tried the method you provide.

There are few bump,

1. When I mount “data”, “Macintosh” always mount as well, so the following command doesn’t work. (Can’t find Macintosh HD)
  2. rm -i "/Volumes/Macintosh HD - Data/private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone"

I can’t find this location before or after mount.. can’t figure out what’s wrong.

(Perhaps it’s already being deleted when I tried?)

The picture provide below is capture under normal login, sorry I can’t provide the picture under recovery mode, my environment does not allow camera.

Dec 23, 2021 5:19 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

From what you posted, you didn’t escape the spaces in the Volume name so it is looking for multiple paths breaking at each space.

The path is enclosed in double quotes so the path is Ok assuming the volume is named "Macintosh HD - Data".

And, if the volume is mounted as just “Data,” use that instead of “Macintosh HD - Data.”

While booted into Recovery Mode run the following command to discover the name of the internal boot volume especially if the name was changed at some point (one of the items should be the "Data" volume you need):

mount  |  grep  -i  volumes

twdreamer wrote:

The picture provide below is capture under normal login, sorry I can’t provide the picture under recovery mode, my environment does not allow camera.

This is normal since volumes get mounted at different locations with different names depending on whether you are booted to the volume or mounting it from Recovery Mode.

Dec 23, 2021 5:28 AM in response to twdreamer

The picture provide below is capture under normal login

You can't find the file because you are looking in the System Volume. That's the difference in removing the file pre-Catalina and post-Catalina. The System Volume is locked down, so you'd never be able to delete that file. Under the split system, that file is located in the Data volume.

If you go through /System/Volumes/Data, you'll find the file at that path. That is where you are trying to get to in recovery.

Since you don't have an admin user, you have to delete the file in Recovery where the permissions don't restrict you from deleting the file. But, it won't be mounted at /System/Volumes/ in Recovery. It will be mounted to /Volumes/

Lost Administrator Access(Apple silicon)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.