Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use wifi calling when iPhone cellular network is unavailable?

Apple says, wifi calling possible when there is no cellular network. But there is no place I can think of, where no cellular network and wifi availability. So is there any way i can use wifi calling when cellular network is available.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 6:59 PM

If your cellular network is available with good service, then no, WiFi calling will not be used and the call will use the cellular network. WiFi calling is a feature offered by carriers to provide service when cellular signal is weak or absent. You cannot force WiFi calling when cellular signal is available.

Nor does it matter really. You still pay the same for every call whether prepaid or post paid service. WiFi calls still show up on your account as they are still routed and handled by your carrier.

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling - Apple Support

With Wi-Fi Calling, you can make or receive a phone call if you have a Wi-Fi connection in an area with little or no cellular coverage. Learn how to make a voice call using Wi-Fi Calling.”

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2021 6:59 PM in response to vamsyi

If your cellular network is available with good service, then no, WiFi calling will not be used and the call will use the cellular network. WiFi calling is a feature offered by carriers to provide service when cellular signal is weak or absent. You cannot force WiFi calling when cellular signal is available.

Nor does it matter really. You still pay the same for every call whether prepaid or post paid service. WiFi calls still show up on your account as they are still routed and handled by your carrier.

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling - Apple Support

With Wi-Fi Calling, you can make or receive a phone call if you have a Wi-Fi connection in an area with little or no cellular coverage. Learn how to make a voice call using Wi-Fi Calling.”

Dec 21, 2021 7:03 PM in response to vamsyi

vamsyi wrote:

When there is a cellular network, calls are routing through regular cellular network but not through Wi-Fi. So how do I make a call using Wi-Fi

Which is exactly how WiFi calling works. The call, whether WiFi or not, is still routed and handled by your carrier and still applies to your service account with them.

If you wish to bypass your carrier and make an internet VoIP call, you need a VoIP service and app (e.g. FaceTime, Skype, Zoom, etc).

But WiFi calling refers to a feature and service of your cellular service provider as part of your account with them. It is not independent VoIP telephone service.

Dec 21, 2021 7:23 PM in response to Michael Black

Hi Michael,

Technically and even practically, you can force an iPhone to use Wi-Fi calling even if cellular service is strong and available. I do this successfully when traveling overseas. I put the iPhone is AirPlane mode and turn Wi-Fi. This leaves the cellular service OFF and the iPhone immediately goes into Wi-Fi Calling mode.

I, however, do understand what you exactly meant in your post. Just thought that I’d throw this into the mix as well.

Axel F.

Dec 21, 2021 7:26 PM in response to vamsyi

When you’re using your smart phone to make a regular telephone call, WiFi calling is a feature provided by your cellular service provider to route your cellular calls over WiFi when a cellular signal is weak or absent. The call is still a cellular telephone call handled by your carrier but uses the internet (over WiFi) instead of their native cellular service network. It is still your carrier’s system routing the call, regardless of you’re connection to it.

Carriers that offer WiFi calling automatically use either their cellular network or the internet (via your WiFi connection) to handle the call. You don’t get to choose what they use - their own technology and network use whatever is the better connection - WiFi to internet or their own direct to tower cellular signal.

The whole point of WiFi calling is to provide seamless connectivity of your cell phone service in areas where your cellular signal is low or not available, but you have WiFi internet access. You do not get to choose between them though.

https://www.nextiva.com/blog/what-is-wifi-calling.html

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/wi-fi-calling-guide/

Dec 21, 2021 7:29 PM in response to Axel Foley

Axel Foley wrote:

Hi Michael,

Technically and even practically, you can force an iPhone to use Wi-Fi calling even if cellular service is strong and available. I do this successfully when traveling overseas. I put the iPhone is AirPlane mode and turn Wi-Fi. This leaves the cellular service OFF and the iPhone immediately goes into Wi-Fi Calling mode.
I, however, do understand what you exactly meant in your post. Just thought that I’d throw this into the mix as well.

Axel F.

Got it. Never been in that situation but appreciate the information.

Do international roaming fees apply though, when forcing the call over WiFi that way, since you’re still using your carrier and your account with them?

Dec 21, 2021 7:51 PM in response to vamsyi

You’d need to check with your carrier as that will depend on them. As I said, they are still the one handling your calls, WiFi calling or not. WiFi calling with your carrier is not some free option to just call anyone you want, anywhere in the world. Your cellular service provider is still the one handling your calls, and still billing you for those calls if fees apply.

My carrier in the USA is AT&T, and these are their support documents for this

e.g. https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1401809/ and https://www.att.com/features/wifi-calling/

Dec 21, 2021 8:49 PM in response to Michael Black

My Carrier is T-Mobile. Calling overseas using Wi-Fi calling will be the same charge as calling over cellular and that is at a premium. Where it helps is calling home (US) from overseas over Wi-Fi Calling is at NO charge.

To make things simpler to understand, when I am on Wi-Fi Calling, then my carrier treats the incoming and outgoing calls as if I am at home (US). For example, with Wi-Fi calling active, when I make or receive a call to/from a US number then there is no charge. This is regardless of my location.

By the way, I only attempted to answer OPs original question of can Wi-Fi calling be used with cellular service active and available?

Axel F.

How to use wifi calling when iPhone cellular network is unavailable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.