Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In MacOS 12.1, cannot save file residing in encrypted disk image on PowerBook running OS X 10.5.8

Hi,

For years, I've maintained a text file containing passwords and other sensitive data in a plaintext file stored inside an encrypted disk image on my 12" PowerBook running OS X 10.5 8. My main machine is a Mac Mini (2018) running MacOS 12.1 Monterey. Until upgrading to Monterey, I had no problems opening the disk image on my networked PowerBook, and then opening, editing, and saving the text file inside the disk image. Once I upgraded to Monterey (12.0), everything still worked, but dismounting the disk image from Monterey required me to use the "Force Eject" option (I posted about this issue a few weeks ago). But now, and I believe this began with my recent upgrade to MacOS 12.1, I can still mount the disk image and open the text file, but I'm no longer able to save the text file; when I try to save, I get a popup message box that reports that "The document "<filename>" could not be saved" (where "<filename>" is the name of the file I was attempting to save. As a workaround, I can access, edit, and save this file from my older Mac Mini (late 2009), running OS X El Capitan (10.11.6). Is this a known bug or limitation in Monterey?

Thanks,

Ken

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 9:54 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 4, 2022 3:57 PM in response to dialabrain

That's a reasonable assumption, but I didn't run into the "Force Eject" problem until MacOS 12.0 (it worked fine under Catalina and Big Sur), and I was able to edit and close the PowerBook file up through MacOS 12.0, so something in 12.1 appears to have broken that. I'm wondering if this actually is a 64-bit issue and perhaps Apple didn't fully implement the restrictions against 32-bit software initially, and what I'm seeing now are the "refinements" to that change.

Ken

Jan 4, 2022 4:00 PM in response to David Carlin

Hi David,

I'm thinking that the fact that your files as well as mine that are exhibiting this problem might have something to do with the fact that they are encrypted. And since you reported in your separate post that you were able to open the files using Terminal makes me think that accessing remote, encrypted files was overlooked somewhat in MacOS 12.x.

Ken

In MacOS 12.1, cannot save file residing in encrypted disk image on PowerBook running OS X 10.5.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.