Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No WIFI after reinstalling OS

Hello everyone!

I have a mid 2012 MacBook that I wanted to format and re-install the operating system. I first erased the disk and reinstalled the Catalina OS. Everything was perfect but in a few days the WiFi stopped working and I couldn't connect to any network.

To fix it I erased the disk again and installed the original Mountain Lion OS. Now I try to connect to WiFi and I don't even get the option in the Network of System Preferences.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thank you so much for the help.

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 2:24 AM

Hi,

Try to check your MacBook Pro with Apple Diagnostics(Apple Hardware Test) if it reports WiFi module related error(CNW001 to CNW008).

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, following article could help your issue.

If your Mac doesn't connect to the Internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2021 2:24 AM in response to MateoRB

Hi,

Try to check your MacBook Pro with Apple Diagnostics(Apple Hardware Test) if it reports WiFi module related error(CNW001 to CNW008).

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, following article could help your issue.

If your Mac doesn't connect to the Internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

Dec 22, 2021 2:32 AM in response to MateoRB

Are you at a point where local and nearby Wi-Fi Networks are no longer detected to choose from? If this is the case, then the Wi-Fi module has probably failed. You can still try the following to confirm the status of the Wi-Fi module:

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. It is time to perhaps retire your MacBook and go for the new models.

Axel F.

Dec 22, 2021 2:54 AM in response to MateoRB

Hi,

It's a hardware issue, so you need to contact Apple support or take your computer to Genius Bar if your local retail AppleStore is open or find opened local Apple Authorized Service Provider to learn which service and support options are available.

Official Apple Support

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

No WIFI after reinstalling OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.