Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating to Monterey

Hey there

I’d like some help with an issue I’m experiencing, I tried a few times to update, I tried while signed in to the administrator user, while on safe mode, a few times, yet each time it says that it failed with a message saying something about failed to personalize the update.

Any help would be appreciated thank you so much

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 4:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 4:45 AM

Is this information accurate MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3 ?

Have seen a few other persons attempting to upGrade from outdated Big Sur installations to Monterey.

In their cases, they needed to update Big Sur to latest versions ( last was Big Sur 11.6.2 released Dec 13, 2021 ) and then attempt the Monterey upGrade.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2021 4:45 AM in response to Eliklein02

Is this information accurate MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3 ?

Have seen a few other persons attempting to upGrade from outdated Big Sur installations to Monterey.

In their cases, they needed to update Big Sur to latest versions ( last was Big Sur 11.6.2 released Dec 13, 2021 ) and then attempt the Monterey upGrade.

Jan 15, 2022 9:51 AM in response to leedsearcher

First thing suggested in check in the Applications folder and look for new application called " Install Monterey ". If it exists Drag and Drop to Trash and empty the trash.

If it does not appear in Applications folder - then reasonable to conclude it has not downloaded. The why is important but there is a way around this.

In the Terminal Application use this command without the quotation mark " softwareupdate --list-full-installers " One can copy and paste the command into Terminal.

It will only list all available Full Installers. If the output shows Monterey 12.1 - Good. It is available.

Next command, again without quotation marks " softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 12.1 " Copy and paste.

This will pull the full installer of Monterey 12.1 - it is about 12.17 GB in size.

It will only download and install a New Application called " Install Monterey " and will Not Launch.

Suggestion - make a Time Machine Backup before moving forwards.

Also, suggest is to copy and paste the " Install Monterey " to an good external Drive for future purposes like making a  Bootable Installer

Now, suggestion ( yes full of suggestions lol ) restart the computer in Safe Mode .

Once logged into your Admin Account - this is when to Launch the Install Monterey located in Applications folder and follow the prompts. There will be several Automatic restarts and hopefully the final restart where Setup Assist will be presented.

Updating to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.