Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't save files to the harddrive on our new iMac.

It backs up via time machine, but when I drag a file to it, it says i don't have permission to write, only read. What do i need to do to change it to do both? This is an iMac 24" bought this year.

thx

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 3:32 PM

NEVER EVER attempt to share a Time Machine drive with storing data. The reason being is when the drive fails (yes all HD will fail) you will lose not only your data but it's backup too! Be smart and buy yourself another external HD to use for storing data. What can take up a great deal of space on your computer is media such as photo libraries, movie libraries and music libraries. It is wise to move these libraries (please read Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support) and your Time Machine backup will back that data up too.

When you are shopping for an external HD, also it is wise to spend a few dollars more to buy high quality storage. Many experienced users on these forums prefer the OWC Mercury Elite Pro series due to their efficient cooling which translates into longevity, reasonable pricing and great support. As a general rule stay away from Walmart quality EHDs such as WD, Toshiba and Seagate enclosures. They are designed to be throw away and have poor cooling. The internal HD's are good quality, it is the enclosures they use that are awful.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2021 3:32 PM in response to Funhouse1

NEVER EVER attempt to share a Time Machine drive with storing data. The reason being is when the drive fails (yes all HD will fail) you will lose not only your data but it's backup too! Be smart and buy yourself another external HD to use for storing data. What can take up a great deal of space on your computer is media such as photo libraries, movie libraries and music libraries. It is wise to move these libraries (please read Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support) and your Time Machine backup will back that data up too.

When you are shopping for an external HD, also it is wise to spend a few dollars more to buy high quality storage. Many experienced users on these forums prefer the OWC Mercury Elite Pro series due to their efficient cooling which translates into longevity, reasonable pricing and great support. As a general rule stay away from Walmart quality EHDs such as WD, Toshiba and Seagate enclosures. They are designed to be throw away and have poor cooling. The internal HD's are good quality, it is the enclosures they use that are awful.

Dec 23, 2021 4:03 PM in response to Funhouse1

Funhouse1 wrote:

I used to be able to drag and drop files to my previous iMac. Not on this one. Also, can't create new folders on it. I can create new folders on the desktop or the cloud, not the internal HD.
I guess the work around is to do it under specific users. Just seems a little less user friendly.
thx

That is 100% normal. You cannot write to the main "Macintosh HD", or the "root" drive.

This is due to the new macOS Security and read-only system volume: Protecting data at multiple layers.

Jack

Can't save files to the harddrive on our new iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.